Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Queen Victoria Effigy..1837

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add torgemco to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i can not find out
a lot about this..
but I have been wondering
about the fist coins struck
in Canada..with a Queen Victoria
effigy..i`m sure this topic
has been talked about before
but I cant locate it
tia

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Ottawa branch of The Royal Mint (later RCM) was opened in 1908, during the rein of King Edward VII. Prior to that Canadian coin was minted in the UK. But 1837 was years in advance of the confederation of Canada, which occurred 150 years ago in 1867.

If you're able to find a copy of Dr Haxby's Striking Impressions, it contains a fascinating history of coinage in Canada.
https://www.amazon.ca/Royal-Canadia...p/0660115638
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add torgemco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi wildflowerAB
thank you 4 your response
are you saying
no coins/legal/tender were struck
within Canada..prior
2 1908..?..bearing qv1.effigy ?
i do not know canadian mints
were there perhaps any tokens
stuck within Canada..?
bearing the queens effigy.
regards

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legal tender struck within Canada, not prior to The Royal Mint in 1908.
Tokens are a different matter as there's no restriction on creating little metal disks.
If there was made a 1837 token in "Upper Canada?" with the effigy of Queen Victoria, perhaps one of our token experts will chime in.
Edited by wildflowerAB
05/19/2017 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add torgemco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you once & again
wildflowerAB
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8118 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Offhand there's the 1840 Nova Scotia Pennies and half pennies.
I'll look a bit more here for ya.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8118 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Brunswick Penny

These are the earliest I can find and there's the 1858 and 1859 Large Cents and One cent from Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island. Also Half Cents from New Bruswick and Newfoundland as well as One cents.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
05/19/2017 11:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a listing of various pre-confederation commercial tokens as well.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/token...mmercial.php
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  12:07 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were no coins or tokens struck in Canada with Queen Victoria's portrait. The tokens shown in previous threads from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI were all struck in England. The Haxby reference is a great start as is the Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8118 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here I thought they were minted in Canada. Well I learn something new every day. Thanks
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were no coins or tokens struck in Canada with Queen Victoria's portrait

Would " DEI GRATIA REGINA " also indicate minted
at Heaton ?
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7539 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, that means Queen by the grace of God, and still appears on our coins.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/22/2017 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , it does doesn't it
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05