Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Final Bid On $2 Canadian Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pocketchange2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have the $2 Canadian note (shown as attached).
A similar $2 Canadian note just sold on eBay for $15.50.
Can anyone explain why the note on eBay sold for $15.50, and what is the comparison of the note I have, relative to a note that sold for $15.50.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4912 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was the one that sold on eBay the same prefix, and similar condition? If it is, I would just say it's a case of "bidding fever" and the seller got lucky that 2 people really wanted it.
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is in much worse condition and is not a sought after prefix unlike the one on eBay. The eBay one still went for way more then it should have, probably the case of shill bidding or bidding fever.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was the one on eBay a "devil's face" variety?

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4710 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For that price it was probably a devils face, that was the first thing I looked at on your and it's not.
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1439 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A link to the sold item would be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7678 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
261 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add McNickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may find an answer or explanation here:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/bankn...0&id_denom=3

You can also check out their grading page here:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/bankn...-grading.php

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2660 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both yours and the one on eBay are spending money. I can't figure out why anyone would pay more than $2 for such ugly bills.
The one on eBay is a little better but has a lot of blue ink. Nothing special about either bills when it come to signatures,
prefixes, or serial numbers. The one on eBay is from one of the last ones issued for the 1954 run.

For the price paid on eBay you can get a nice uncirculated one for half the price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7678 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's a case of "bidding fever" and the seller got lucky that 2 people really wanted it.

There is no mystery here, it's as simple as that.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/20/2017 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4710 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep not worth it, the on on eBay is not a devils face.
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocketchange2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Thanks everyone for your comments.
I found this note in a batch of stuff at an estate sale.
I do not collect Canadian monies, and had no clue why it was saved, except perhaps as a souvenir.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1439 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prices for 54 notes have been on the rise lately. Couple of year ago most dealers would only pay face for circulated notes. That's changing. Although $15 for a common stained note is a little high...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10666 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I agree with the Coin Hunter..

Prices starting to rise but the one shown here has to be 'shill' bidders I would say to pay that much for that note.
True North
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05