Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Julia Soaemias - Mother Of Elagabalus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  5:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Julia Soaemias Bassiana (180 - March 11, 222) was a Syrian noblewoman and the mother of Roman emperor Elagabalus who ruled over the Roman Empire during her son's reign. She was the younger daughter of Julia Maesa and niece of Julia Domna, the two formidable women of the Severan period who played a decisive role in Roman politics of the times. Soaemias was also the mother of the emperor Elagabalus.

Just as his grandmother and her sister were two of the most strong willed, ambitious, and powerful women in Roman history, Elagabalus was a weak and irresponsible emperor. He was more interested in pursuit of sexual excesses and pleasure than ruling the huge Roman empire and building a stable government.

Julia Soaemias was at once the tool of her mother's political ambitions and the victim of the Roman people's outraged reaction to Elagabalus' abuses. She did nothing to influence her son to govern well, but joined in the scandalous behavior by shamelessly taking a series of lovers in full public view herself.

Elagabalus had a succession of boyfriends. He even went so far as to take a "husband" in a formal wedding ceremony. Elagabalus also took and quickly divorced three wives. One of these ladies was a Vestal Virgin, symbol of the home and motherhood sacred to the Roman people. This act shocked even the jaded Roman upper classes, and helped to bring about the boy emperor's downfall. Elagabalus considered his role as high priest of the sun god to be more important than his role as Roman emperor.

In A. D. 222, Julia Maesa finally decided to do away with her daughter and grandson before the army raised up a general in one of the provinces to the throne. She had Elagabalus adopt his thirteen year old brother and make him heir to the throne. The boy , Bassianus, seemed to be the exact opposite of Elagabalus and was well - liked by the soldiers of the Praetorian Guard. Maesa persuaded Elagabalus to give his brother a greater role in governing the empire so that he could devote more time to serving his god. Elagabalus soon grew suspicious of his brother, though. When it seemed that Elagabalus was going to have Bassianus murdered, the Praetorians invited the boy, his mother Mamaea, and Maesa to the safety of their camp. The frightened Elagabalus tried to work out a bargain, and the angry soldiers allowed him to remain emperor only if he gave up the worst of his male favorites who occupied important government posts. However, when he refused one day to appear in public with Bassianus, the Praetorian Guard lost all patience. They raised the boy Bassianus to the purple and he became the Roman emperor Severus Alexander. They rampaged through the palace searching for Elagabalus and found him and Julia Soaemias in each others' arms hiding in a palace privy, clinging to one another in fear. The soldiers quickly killed the pair. They dragged the corpses of the seventeen year old Elagabalus and his still-beautiful but hated mother through the streets of Rome to the shouts and derision of the people. After they unsuccessfully tried to dispose of the bodies in a city sewer, they weighted both of them with stones and cast them into the Tiber.

Denarii for Soaemias were in production only for 218-222. There are two obverse inscriptions and 4 reverse types. By far the most common obverse inscription is IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG which arcs continuously without break from lower left to lower right (see example above). Here it is used with the standing VENVS CAELESTIS, Venus draped standing left holding apple in outstretched right hand, and vertical staff/scepter in left. With a star in the middle right field.

The long inscription type IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVGVSTA is less commonly seen, and is associated only with the IVNO REGINA reverse type (the only type with which the shorter obverse legend is NOT associated.)

In this the figure of Juno stands facing right, with a staff/septer held vertical in her right hand and the figure of the palladium stands on her outstretched left hand. The Palladium was a religious icon that was derived from the Greeks and figured in the Illiad as an icon sacred to Troy that had to be stolen by the Greeks in order for the city to be taken. Eventually it made its way to Rome where it was kept with the most sacred iconic images of the Romans. When the ever controversial Elagabalus transferred the most sacred relics of Roman religion from their respective shrines to the Elagabalium, the Palladium was among them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32761 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice history lesson.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
22909 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins, excellent write-up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4813 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins and great write-up. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2017  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins lrb
Super write-up as usual.
I must say I really like the
way you manage to summarise the
history of these ladies.

Thanks for sharing

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2017  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins and great write-up! She's the only Severan I haven't gotten for my collection yet.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1725 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2017  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two very nice coins but of the two I would take the second in a heartbeat. Great finds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2017  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loved the coin and story behind it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2017  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, guys. Now that my other major project (non-numismatic) is wrapped up, I've decided to ramp up the rate of new entries in this series.

I've added a note to the index thread which I hope you will read and take to heart. It is an invitation that begins:

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD MATERIAL TO EACH OF THESE THREADS AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE TO YOU.

We hope you will.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2017  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great write up Irbguy, learning a great deal here and another nice coin.

Here is my example:
VENVS CAELESTIS

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recent pick up....Thought IŽd add it to this thread.
As you know I'm not into shiny this one has lovely old cabinet toning...

JULIA SOEMIAS, mother of Elagabalus. AR Denarius (18mm, 2.87 gm).
Obverse..IVLIA SOEMIAS AVG, draped bust right.
Reverse..VENVS CAELESTIS, Venus standing left, holding apple and sceptre; star in left field.
RIC IV 241; BMCRE 45; RSC 8.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4813 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, nice toning on this one, Paul. Great reverse too.
Learn More...
United States
22909 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Paul.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05