Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

13 Lbs Of Nickels - Looking For Suggestions On What To Look For.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  8:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! This is my second post in this section. I'm looking for another cheat sheet for my hoard of circulated Nickels before my nephews have at it.

I'm not much of a nickel guy but saved up this hoard over the last year or so.

Any rarities, errors, or anything valuable that one can find these days would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admins, Please move. I think I put this in the wrong section.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8239 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming you mean Jeffersons, with no war nickels, some of the major varieties are the 1939 DDR (Monticello), 1941-S "Large S", 1946 D/Horizontal D, the 1949 D/S OMM, the 1954 S/D OMM, the 1955 D/S OMM, the 2004-P Handshake DDO, the 1990-D "No FS" missing initials, the 2005-P "Humpback Bison" (die chip/extra metal) and the 2005-D "Speared Bison" (die gouge starts just left of the E in STATES and bisects the buffalo.)

There are other minor RPM's and such which don't bring much of a premium but can still be fun to find, mostly in the reverse-mintmark types.

The "usual" scarcities other than those above:

1938-S
1939 (Rev. '38)
1939-D (Rev. '40)
1939-S (Rev. '40)
1950-D

Save these if you come across any exceptionally nice examples:
1971-D to 1973-D with full steps
1983-P and 1983-D
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8203 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
paralyse gave you a good list there.
Here's a link to my little gallery album that might help.
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=1878
Look for 1939 1944 1946, 1947 & 1953 Henning Nickels too. You just might have one of those. You'll think it's just another worn nickel so here's a google to understand what they look like.
https://www.google.com/search?q=19&...497491820930
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
06/14/2017 9:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2124 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add to the before mentioned some keep an eye out for early examples with full steps. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
06/14/2017 11:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fellas! Super helpful and I'm sure my nephews will have fun digging through this hoard. They have ridiculous eagle eyes when coached on what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just some I suppose that are to look for are the 09 nickels( low mintage),75 High D MM,97 P matte finish,and the 64 PluriDus,the letter B looks like a D.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purchase the 2018 Official Red Book 3rd Mega Edition, A Guide Book of United States coins it has over 300 pages in this issue just for Nickels
Edited by goldnugget
06/16/2017 9:57 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05