Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 D Wheat Penny Error Or Damage?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29886 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is from a blowtorch,PMD. You need to start your own threads.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok John1, sorry.....Was just trying to attach what I find to what already posted in the same category, my apologies! Blow torch, hmmm! I'm guessing PMD; Personal Made Damage, physical made damage, private made damage, pedejo made damage, **purposely made damage? Again, I apologize Sir, Sarge, Out
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29886 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD= is post mint damage. It happened after it left the mint.
PSD= post strike damage. It got damaged after minting but did not leave the mint.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40195 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big difference between PMD and PSD, it that PSD happened after the strike. That is a give. PMD leaves the question when did the damage happen before or after it left the mint? So PSD is a definite answer. PMD is still a question? It can't be proved either way. So I prefer to use PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29886 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me wonder, who inside the mint used a blowtorch on it?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
2124 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pending the reverse, I can visualize someone at the mint using the 2nd coin in a fuse box if needed.

Also, poker night at the mint. Who knows what went on back then? Thanks, Doug.

Adding: regardless if damage done inside the mint or outside the mint, it was altered after strike.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
08/31/2019 11:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Pending Reverse" I'm on the road to buy coins fellas but there is no "blow Torch" melt on edge or back of that coin! Dumb question; Aren't the planchets heated at the mint to soften metal to accept the die that presses into the metal? I honestly thought it was? I apologize if that is not correct?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05