Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Countermarked 3CS - anybody recognize the initials?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Or have any ideas?

-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Edited by BStrauss3
06/18/2017 11:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hummmm, if you take the point of the star as an "A", then maybe something to do with bowel trouble?

"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
2778 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ancillary Support Equipment/Ground Support Equipment

No idea...

I assume it's a pair of initials. Either ASE & GSE or EAS & EGS.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
06/18/2017 11:34 pm
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess 2 pair of initials also.
However I'd say they were S.E.G.& S.E.A.
Whoever stamped them took 5 tries on the first letter.Unfamiliar with the process experimentation took over to get the proper amount of hit on the stamp and the proper tilt to the stamp for a good impression.
Edited by Dennman
06/18/2017 11:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2778 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting observation Dennman.

I believe you may be correct. That multiple stamped S may well have been the first letter.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would venture to say it is a love/marriage/engagement token of some sort with common letter of S or E being last name?

Still like my first guess, do I win a prize? Gotta win sometime...
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice, I like it
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The counterstamp does not look recent
Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that it's older, the reverse shows clear signs of where the punches were, but evenly worn. The worst is at K1:30 where the four smacks occurred.

With the irregular spacing, it was done with individual letter punches. And the serif on the G is distinctive.

If this were a murder mystery the detective would say the perp was an amateur, "Notice the hesitation marks"

(These photos are cropped and/or resized from shallow image stacks - 10 images) here is the matching Obverse image:

-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a one-of-a-kind keepsake to me .... quite possibly a love token consisting of counterstamps. The meaning would only make sense to the giver and the recipient. I've not before seen the like of it.

As a denomination, counterstamps on silver trimes are quite scarce. That said, true value is added when the issuer can be established. I don't envision that happening with the subject piece. Still, many folks enjoy a puzzle, even if it's indecipherable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
502 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to a quick online search, it could possibly stand for a small Brazilian insurance company, Seaseg Consultoria e Corretora de Seguros, or just off the top of my head, maybe a sort of pun about the ocean, "e.g. seas," since trime sounds like trident or trireme?

Either way, I like it!
Here is my trade list and my want list.
"It is our privilege to pass on to the coming centuries treasures of past ages." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05