Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buffalo Nickels And Restored Dates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  08:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What exactly is "restored details"? I have been seeing this on Buffalo nickel listings on eBay. Doesn't sound good to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nickels have been dipped is a solution to raise the date. Do not buy restored date coins as the dates can easily be rubbed off and the coins are left with a chemical discoloration after date restoration.
Edited by Slider23
06/27/2017 09:11 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12053 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A restored date is also known as an acid date . When you use Nic-o-Date or vinegar & peroxide on the worn out date the acid brings up the date about 97% of the time . Some rare DD or over dates with a restored date can still be worth a premium .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42887 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good explanation. OK to try restoring them yourself, perhaps, but not a good idea to buy them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If cash is tight it might be necessary to get acid dates for some of the toughest dates. Generally they have nearly no value. Although I'd probably try a type one with an S mint mark
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an experiment I once tried Nik-a-date on some worn out Buffalos. It was fun to see what I had.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What exactly is "restored details"? I have been seeing this on Buffalo nickel listings on eBay. Doesn't sound good to me.

If you do the date restoration by soaking the whole coin and not just applying the solution to the date area, along with restoring the date it also restores some of the worn away details as well.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2017  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you do the date restoration by soaking the whole coin and not just applying the solution to the date area, along with restoring the date it also restores some of the worn away details as well.

But it makes the whole coin look funky.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you use the vinegar method they come out fairly white and just looking etched. The Nic-a-date does make them look funky, and usually especially ugly if it is just applied to the date area. You get a very worn looking coin with an ugly blotch around the date area.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2017  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A CCF member, weerdsteve, is pretty good at restoring Buffalo dates. Take a look...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/buffaloreincarnations

Wait... is that the guy who is offering his business for $25,000? https://www.buffaloreincarnations.c...toration.php
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2017  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one and only @Benja......

Sounds a bit steep to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42887 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2017  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
4735 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I am concerned, Weerdsteeve is the expert regarding restored date Buffalo nickels. It is a niche market but it has it's fans.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2017  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wait... is that the guy who is offering his business for $25,000?

Quote:
The one and only @Benja......
Wow, that is news to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05