Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Forum. Can Anyone Help Me, 2014 100 Years Of Anzac's Mule Coin.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 8,063Next Topic
Page: of 4
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2017  10:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I'm from Australia Long time reader first time writer.
Has anyone got any information on the 2014 $1 anzac mule coin?
Edited by CoinFreak666
07/10/2017 9:58 pm
Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a big long discussion about it on the Australian Coin Forum, but we were unable to find any definitive proof that it's a genuine error rather than a fake. Someone claimed to have found one in Newcastle and handed it in to a reputable coin dealer, but the photos weren't clear enough, so he asked for the coin back again to take more photos, but never received it.

Because no one else has claimed to have found such a coin, and the only person who does claim to have found one won't submit it for further examination, I'm of the opinion that this coin is fake/fraudulent, but I'm willing to change my mind if a reliable coin dealer is able to verify its existence.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is the coin I am referring to.
It was scanned,measured & weighed etc. The dealer was leaning toward the conclusion it was genuine.
Where does one go to get a coin verified?
I'm fairly new to the grading side of collecting.
Edited by CoinFreak666
07/10/2017 11:37 pm
Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are people in Australia who will grade it, but most collectors prefer to get it done overseas by PCGS. There's always an inherent risk with sending stuff overseas, so you'd have to take out insurance, but PCGS is seen as much more reliable than our own Australian graders.
Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I forgot to welcome you to Coin Community. Here goes:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigfella to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fear if PCGS graded they would not recognise it as a mule and even if they did it would just be their opinion, not an authentication. I would be building up a case as to why it is a mule and hittting the ram up.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou very much Hercules. I love this forum, I can sit for hours just reading.
It would be great if I could have my coins graded here in Australia, Alot easier & safer.
I am confused about how all the other error coins got authenticated,
Did each one have to have a case study done on them followed by RAM giving them the green light?
Obviously I cant just take it to a dealer & have them say yes it is or no it isn't
or it would already be authenticated. Any advise on what I should do would be great. Thankyou.

I have upset a few people with this topic & comments. I am very sorry & have edited all comments.

Edited by CoinFreak666
07/10/2017 11:35 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5240 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2017  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Until the RAM have agreed that it's a genuine Mule, it's going to be a bit up in the air. They will have the final say, but with just this 1 example, I doubt they'll be too keen to admit anything.

I am leaning a bit towards it being the real thing and soon I hope to be able to show people why I have this opinion.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was leaning towards it being genuine when I first saw it as well, but when I thought about what happened with the 2000 mule, I changed my mind. However, I agree with what Uni said on ACF, that it's probably mint sport. If it had occurred by accident, we would expect there to be hundreds, if not thousands, of examples, but there appears to be only one.

Although it's certainly possible that a single coin was made by accident and then slipped into circulation, the odds of that happening are terribly remote, and would require a certain amount of negligence on the part of the mint.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more pictures of it, but I agree that there's not much point in getting it graded, because the mint will deny it exists, so PCGS will put it in the same category as all the other 2014 ANZAC $1 coins.

It took years to persuade PCGS that the 2000 mule exists, and required dozens of examples, so I can't see the 2014 mule being any easier to prove, especially when we only have one.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigfella to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have actually seen and touched the coin and believe it is a mule....but that is just my professional opinion. I would be building up a case and then get the RAMs opinion.
Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you should do that, Bigfella. There's nothing decimal coin collectors love more than mules.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry everyone, Its all sorted now, everyone is relaxed again.
This is the coin, I hope the pictures are clear enough for you all to give your opinion. Thankyou.

So I should contact RAM about this coin? I really have no idea what to do about this whole subject, nearly wish I had not brought it.

Valued Member
Australia
248 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hercules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contacting the RAM is a waste of time, because they don't like to admit the existence of "error" coins, and will only do so when the evidence is overwhelming (as with the 2000 mule). Are you willing to reveal how much you paid for it? I'd be willing to buy it off you if I can afford it.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5240 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2017  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 4 Coin obverses in this image which should be self explanatory. The 2000 Mule obv is mine.

The reason I put these images together was that I noticed the variance of distance between HM's hair and II in the legend, when comparing CoinFreak666's image to one on The ACF.

So I decided to get together 4 images which might help sort things out. Then I saw that the front curl of HM's hair was also differently placed on the 2014 coin, so it's obvious that the 10c obv on the 2014 coin, is larger than the Obv on the 10c 2000 coin.

There are 4 things I would like to know/see about the 2014 ANZAC $1;

Exact diameter of the coin (bigfella says 25.05mm) .05 larger than standard $1
Exact weight of the coin (bigfella says 9g) same as standard $1
Some really close-up in-focus shots of the rim
Some really close-up in-focus shots of the edge

If no more examples of this coin come to light, it is possible that this one might be;

a) Mint Sport, one off
b) Meticulously manufactured Magician's coin - probably one off, very close examination with a good loupe should reveal this
c) small possibility of a really well centred Collar error (this might explain the coin being slightly wider), but not the difference in HM's head size.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2017  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not looking good for me is it, Paid way to much for this coin, I'm embarrassed to say how much.
Oh well we win some we lose some, it was a gamble, I will take some more pictures tomorrow in natural light.
I am not real good with a camera I shake to much, Can I scan the coin with my printer or is that a no no?
Here is one, I took already. If I can make it fit.

Edited by CoinFreak666
07/12/2017 04:10 am
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2017  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFreak666 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 8,063Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05