Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Numismatic Vs Bullion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2017  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheEntity to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all!

I am new here, and sincerely hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

I am a novice stacker, and have looked into both sides of the equation (stacking bullion vs numismatics), but want some additional opinions from the community.

Is it better to have a bu base stack and then start looking into numismatics to purchase?

What are the best numismatics to buy at this point?

I know people seem to love the Panda's, but I have a weird feeling buying them, seeing as now they are 30g pieces instead of 1oz pieces.

I have heard some good things about the lunar series as well.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
Norway
1358 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2017  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I understand you correctly, you're more into buying or stacking bullion than into coin collecting or numismatics. As in: coins are only of interest if they're made of precious metal.

In that case, the only advise I can give you is to look for metal value or below. Check the silver junk bin at your local coin shops. I do that often and have found a lot of interesting things at very reasonable prices there.

About Panda's: sure it's just less than the 1 oz you'd expect. It's made in China after all. I can only advise you to buy Pandas if you feel good about them. What you think that 'the community' thinks shouldn't be an issue: it's your collection, your money and your investment. Do what makes you feel good. Pandas come with a premium, eagles can be found at spot. Maple leafs get milk spots.

If you're looking into numismatics as an investment (as in: to make money), then I suggest that you either just keep to bullion or that you make sure you have very deep pockets and don't need the money otherwise. Trading coins for profit is a very tricky and risky business and I wouldn't recommend it.

At this point, silver is relatively cheap compared to gold, as there is a run on gold right now which pushes the price. I'm not sure if the gold price will drop at some point to get more in line with the usual ratio or if silver will go up, or that we have just reached a 'new normal' in the silver vs gold ratio. My crystal ball is broken, so I can't help, and I can't foresee when it's fixed either. If you can find platinum coins, it may be worth a shot, as platinum is relatively cheap compared to gold right now.

I hope this helps!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5745 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bullion (rounds or bars) requires a lot less knowledge-building, research, and luck to be profitable, compared to numismatic bullion.

The general expectation is that country-issued "NCLT" bullion will trade at a premium over spot, and thus there will be more of a safety net if silver crashes back to under $10/oz (it could happen). Collectors also respect the concept of rarity and key dates when it comes to numismatic bullion, which is simply not true with any private bullion. A good bit more profit can be had by scoring the "key date" ASE's or Pandas etc, but it also requires more vigilance; reading every press release etc.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2017  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stack good quality sovereign issued PM's for the bulk of my purchases. I do some semi-numismatic silver bullion collecting on the side to keep things fresh, but I have liquidated 99% of my position in real numismatics. A little while back I owned a Canadian dime that contained 0.07 ounces of silver, yet was worth as much as a monster box of 1oz. silver coins. That was always in the back of my mind. With numismatics you are relying entirely on what people are willing to pay for your coin. If nobody wants it, it's intrinsically worth basically nothing.

Add to that an aging collector base, the demise of the use of physical cash, the massive amount of Chinese fakes, and the incredible cost to get into higher end numismatic coins...and I feel confident saying you're better off in metals. I got into numismatics because I loved it, I got out because it was a financially losing proposition.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also fall into category of those who have gotten out of pure numismatic collecting and are now into semi-numi. Currently I focus on world bullion silver series. I collect almost all of them except Panda. It is simply all the fakes that kept me from ever attempting the series. World bullion keeps my coin collecting urge satisfied while generally having little premium over the base when I buy current release. Some of the early key dates can be pricey. I prefer Australian bullion because it is very high quality and usually has nice designs that change annually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First....Panda's are VERY most popular world bullion so I would not be concerned that they are now "30g pieces".
If your goal is strictly to stack silver and buy at the cheapest price just stay with the generics and shop price.
If your goal is to collect as well as stack, mix it up a bit. There have been 25 new world bullion issues this year.
Lots to choose from. I personally do not own any "generic" silver at all as I enjoy the collecting aspect.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do both. Very compulsive, addicting hobby. I stack "junk" silver and complete as many coin series' I can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2017  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you get into a series like Morgans or any gold coin to collect you will spend a lot of money if you want a higher grade collection and I mean AU and above. Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, Peace dollars and LWH dollars can be collected without breaking the bank. So can Wheat pennies.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05