Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Causes Different Types Of Proofs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10401 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  02:58 am Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is something I've been wondering about lately. I was looking for a 1955 Jefferson nickel proof tonight and with these, one can get a mirror proof, cameo proof and a deep cameo proof.

Were the differences intentional? They all came from the same mint. What, during the minting process, causes the inconsistencies of proof type?

It seems that what is intended can be reproduced ad infinitum. Why the variation?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2316 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How clean/polished the dies are? Just a guess.
Edited by MontCollector
07/26/2017 03:35 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30421 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the dies wear, it changes the kind of proof the coin will end up being. It starts out as a DCP then wears to a CP and then a brilliant proof with no frost at all.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1459 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It used to be unintentional and was due to an early strike. Frosted coins from the 1940's and the 1800's are very expensive as they are rare. Sometime in the late 1960's the mint realized you can produce a deep cameo by sandblasting the die with ultra-fine powder and then polishing the flat surfaces. Thats why they all look like that now. Deep cameo's today are a matter of intentionality. Proofs from the early 1960's and before are not and so deserve a premium.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16100 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used to use sandblasting, but I think they use laser etching for cameo proofs these days.

Fields would be polished with 50,000 or 100,000 diamond grit.
That is what I use for final polish of faceted sapphires.
(I also happen to be a gemstone facetor).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't they also have "matte" proofs in the old days?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10401 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses! I just never really thought about it until looking for nickel proofs around the late '50s to late '60s that seems to be a transition period. For instance, I have a '68 cameo proof and then a '70 brilliant proof and it made me go

Is die wear also the reason for brilliant, PL and DMPL Morgan dollars?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2017  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. On Morgan dollars, the more a die is used, the more luster you will see as a result of flow lines. Of course, it also depends on how bold the strike is. It also depends on how properly a die was hardened. On a real DMPL, you should see no 'cartwheels' whatsoever.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question. I think Andrew99 has it right. They started doing it on purpose because of collectors.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05