Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a Byzantine Coin?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

This is my first post and I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this coin.

Thanks,
Matt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Although I'm nowhere near my books I have had one very similar to this. I'm sure once your post is up a bit, you will get a more precise answer.
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The legend on the reverse is for Leo VI 886-912 AD, but this is not a coin. I believe this is some type of seal. Is the material lead or bronze? From the pictures it appears to be lead to me. What is the size and weight of the piece?

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had originally thought it was seal as well, as it is rather heavy for it's size. This may explain why I have not be able to find a match.
It's roughly the size of a quarter and well worn, so it may have been a bit bigger. It's a soft metal to be sure but I had thought a lead seal would become brittle in time.

A seal could be even more interesting.
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The piece looks old, but it could also be a modern fantasy piece. There isn't a lot of information about Byzantine seals available. So it's difficult to say for sure.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I reached out to Dumbarton Oaks a few times to determine if this was in fact a seal however no one responded.

https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals

Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've also checked a few of the limited resources available with no luck.
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The closer I look at this piece the more I think it's a modern reproduction, made to look like it has some age.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @echizento that despite the rev inscription, this piece doesn't fit with the coins of Leo VI. Specifically, the cross barby is not found on the coins of Leo VI.

Of course, I don't know anything about Byzantine lead seals...
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svnhson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is genuine, it could also be a religious medallion. Can you tell what metal it is?
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the item is made of lead as it's a soft metal, but I can not say for sure.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know how I can get the inscription translated?
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LEON ENOECO BASILEVS ROMEON. "Leo by the Grace of God King of the Romans".
Valued Member
Canada
217 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by arnoldoe
08/14/2017 6:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad this turned out to be a genuine piece. Learn something new everyday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Learn something new everyday.

I agree--thanks to @arnoldoe for figuring out the attribution!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05