Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help with a 1983D penny. Copper or zinc?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GDN to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I put my 1983D penny on my digital food scale it starts out at 2.0g then jumps to 3.0g. Once it went to 4.0g. Is there a sure way to tell if this is copper or zinc? And what kind of scale should I use? I included pics...

Thank you for your response,

Gail

Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't sound like your scale is very accurate. Maybe try resetting / recallibrating it?
"When I'm old and grey, I want to be known amongst the neighborhood kids as that old guy who gives out full size candy bars on Halloween" - me, when for some reason I was thinking really deep.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1882 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your digital FOOD scale sounds set for only grams, no tenths, correct? If that be the case, it will round up a 2.6gr to 3.0, and round down a 3.11 to 3.0. Get a better, more accurate scale calibrated to tenths at least, hundredths is better.

That said, your pix aren't real clear nor are true color. By what is shown, the refractive quality looks like a copper planchet, BUT, I do see what appears to be "Plating bubbles" which only occur on zinc planchet coins. Jury's still out...

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Edited by Crazyb0
08/12/2017 1:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4079 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a sure way to tell if this is copper or zinc?

I agree that weighing on a more precise scale would help you to know. Otherwise, you could resort to a more destructive method.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you flick and flip a copper cent into the air with your thumbnail it should make a ringing noise. Doing the same thing with a zinc cent makes a "thud" or no ringing noise. It may not be as safe as a scale but it's reliable. That's what I do to all 1983 cents I have, try to ring it, because I don't have a good scale.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another way to measure is the popsickle stick teetertotter. Glue a copper to one side, determine center(mark it) with copper cent on other side, zinc won't move it, copper will balance.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GDN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. The more I examined it, even if it looks copper to me, when I compare it to other pennies, I believe it's zinc. Again, Thank you for all your help! I'm learning something new everyday with this community!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05