Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 penny partially plated. Is it real? Possible experimental?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add refund to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in a sandwich bag with about 30 wheat pennies in the back of a closet that my dad use to use. Can anyone please tell me your thoughts or opinions. It was most likely put there when he bought the house in 1981 but could have been in his possession much longer. I took it to a shop and I was told that it is the same weight as a common Wheat penny, but he could not say for certain what it is or isn't. The plating is very hard and thick. you can see where someone had scratched it pretty deep, they probably wanted to see if it was just painted or maybe solder, but it's not. I was advised to have it checked by the owner of the shop at a later date.

Edited by refund
08/12/2017 10:27 am
Learn More...
United States
10960 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim in the reverse image, almost looks like a dryer coin. and the coin looks like it was either painted or has environmental toning.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add refund to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was editing my post about the plating when you commented. I'm not sure why, but what really caught the attention of the guy who looked at it was how the edge of the plating is raised. you can see it by my thumbnail. Sorry, made a mistake, that's the edge of the wheat by my thumbnail. But you can still see it between the wheat stems.
Edited by refund
08/12/2017 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1163 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would vote plated, then dryer coin-ed.
People often question my "strange" or "weird" hobby of coin collecting. I think of these people as the common, "pocket change" people. Nothing unique about them. They question those who are different, call them "weird" for not being average. Those who have these strange hobbies are the "rarity" people. They are the "weird". The "quirky." Those who are different from the group are the Morgan dollars in a pile of modern dimes.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add refund to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was it plated by the US mint? Can anyone suggest why they think it was or was not?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19516 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Kinda looks like a former encased cent that was plated or painted. Face value only.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24562 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was plated later. It was a normal copper cent, but when they plated it the reverse rim is showing the copper. Probably not a dryer cent, just scratched on the obverse plating. Looks like there may have been tape on the reverse rim and then it was removed. There was at least one example of a 1942 cent that was struck on steel to see of this could happen.

But if it were a steel planchet, no copper would be showing and the surface would not be shiny, but look like a normal steel cent. The weight would also be lighter if it was steel. (2.7 gram)

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/12/2017 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plated after the U.S. Mint PMD (Post Mint Damage). I also agree it's a dryer coin also.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7953 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was plated after issue and possibly inserted into a bezel for some unknown reason, or even into one of the aluminum cases used for good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2015 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
,on these one I'll agree with john1, encased then plated
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add refund to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I agree about being encased at one point. I'm still going to have someone else look at it just to get another opinion from someone who can view it with a loop. I will let you guys know what he thinks also. Thank you to all you guys for the welcome and the feedback.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add refund to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The plating is magnetic. What material do you think it is most likely to be?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24562 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably chrome. It is a three part process. Copper/nickel/steel.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12841 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure Coop but I think the experimental 1942 you showed is the double thick aluminum piece. The 42 steels didn't have reflective surfaces like that.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
742 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plated and circulated, I've seen a number of these.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12903 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't dismiss the possibility from my mind that this coin has been plated, then the plating on the rim has been carefully, but deliberately polished or buffed off.
A leather faced buffing wheel, that would be used for the final polishing of opals would be perfectly capable of doing tbis sort of job.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05