Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can your recommend a good reference for Ancient Roman coins?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Once again, I have failed to attribute an ancient Roman (a Philip sestertius) because my book was incomplete-it lacked provincial issues. Fortunately the community succeeded, but I really need a better book.

Can you recommend one?
Learn More...
United States
20163 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RIC of course is an excellent reference, but a lot of the material is out of date and the books are expensive. You might be able to find a copy on CD but it is difficult to navigate through. Sears Roman Coins and their Vales is also and excellent resource. I like using ERIC II, it is a large book that covers Roman and Byzantine coins. You might be able to get a copy here: http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com/ or on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great question @oriole. While I don't collect ancient Romans to any great extent any more, I used to use Vagi's books. I guess that they never really took on though as no one here seems to use that reference.

In any case, our sticky thread has plenty of good recommendations too: http://goccf.com/t/149883
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like ERIC II. I got my copy while it was still readily available. There are a few for sale on Amazon and I'm sure some on eaby too.
-----------------
My Gallery
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! My current reference is an old Seaby "roman coins and their values".
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05