Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Binion Silver Hoard Uncirculated Type Set- Junk or what?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:11 pm Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This "set" consists of the following coins. Listed below.

Is this "set" really worth anything? Or is it just junk?

1922 Peace Silver S1$ NGC Certified Uncirculated

1964 Kennedy Silver 50c NGC Certified Uncirculated

1964 Washington Silver 25c NGC Certified Uncirculated

1963 Roosevelt Silver 10c NGC Certified Uncirculated

eBay ID: sellingsecretslegit

eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/globalcoinsandcollectibles/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1066 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that unless you place much value on the historical aspect of this hoard, they are just a group of ordinary and common UNC silver coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1536 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True, without the labels they are just uncirculated silver US coins.
Completed my Dansco ASE 7181 on 8/6/2017. 32 of 32
Every coin spot free! Tougher to find water spot free Eagles than I thought!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7866 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They put the 2500 of each type in the slabs with no thought of grade above uncirculated. You have about the same chance of getting a juicy one as you do from ordering "unpicked" uncirculated rolls.

Neither the TPG nor the Binion association adds much to the value, IMO.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're "soft grades", and are probably less desirable than the ones that received "hard grades" (i.e. MS-64)
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the feedback. The story behind the "Binion Silver Hoard" is pretty sad too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2593 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see the dollars at coin shows fairly frequently. Even a small show somebody will have one somewhere. The interesting bit of History, they are a recognized horde.

The full set is less common I don't think I've ever seen one. But I don't think it adds a lot to the value.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7332 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting backstory. Are those NGC-graded? binionsilverhoard.com is not an active domain.
Learn More...
United States
44935 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The interesting bit of History, they are a recognized horde.
I agree.

Probably only a small set of people are going to assign any premium to these, but those people do exist.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12894 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS60 pretty much the most common grade for EACH of these coins.
For instance I have never seen a circulated VG Kennedy half, and I would think MS64 would be more common than Fine.

Seems to be a 'marketing' product to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5347 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These sets were advertised by direct-to-market outlets such as HSN, QVC, etc. as well as in mass-market publications.

Most of the coins were low grade Uncirculated, MS60-MS62. Examples with very low serial numbers and higher-grade coins are scarcer and slightly more desirable.

That being said, they are a good way to obtain very inexpensive coins with tangible links to a famous figure in gambling history.

The better coins (mostly Morgans) from the Binion hoard were slabbed in different NGC holders, as part of the "Binion Collection", given individual numeric grades, and sold separately, and occasionally those do bring premiums based on grade and coin. The rest, including the Uncirculated type-set issues, were sold off in bulk and aimed at the casual collector market.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12816 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are those NGC-graded? binionsilverhoard.com is not an active domain.

Yes they are NGC graded. Binnionsilverhoard.com was a site used by the promoter to hype the coins while he was selling them. Once they were all gone he didn't need the site anymore and let it die.
Gary Schmidt
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ParlousJoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every coin without a label is just another coin.

If you know the Binion Story and what happened to him (there was a movie and a read about what happened to him), it's kind of a neat set to own and/or the graded coins. I believe what happened to Ted Binion and him hoarding these coins gives the coins a little more value because of what happened and how they came to be, they do make interesting conversations about them too. I own a few of the graded coins, they are nice coins for the grades and makes them a little more interesting knowing the story behind them, that's why I bought a few of them and I did have to pay a little more for them because of the interest in them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5577 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do appreciate the history behind this hoard and your subsequent coin question ...

While acknowledging all the comments above about the 'special' nature of this hoard ... do caution that common coins (these) will always be common ... so choose your collecting interest appropriately.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great feedback! Thank you all!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05