Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Flying Eagle I had to give a home to - 1856 Obverse?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this off eBay from crappy pictures, so I took a chance what I thought I saw. Plus got it for a "Best offer". Plus this will be my 41st, I'm hooked on these cents and can't seem to stop buying one every now and then.
Mailman just dropped it off this afternoon and I'm really thinking I'm seeing the indicators of it being the obverse of an 1856. Any thoughts? The squarness of the inner part of the 0, the F in of, and rounded bottom post of the M sure do look good.

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Edited by Mark1959
08/12/2017 7:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that isn't jumping out at me as the '56 is the 'O'. Yours is pretty rounded on the inner bottom, and is thicker overall then what I would say with 100% certainty. Everything else looks good, but I'm on the fence with the 'O'.

Upon further review, I'm saying, Yes! It's an FS401b. Good eye!

You can see what I was talking about here regarding the shape of the O (additional images match your coin though): http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/410434
Edited by Beefer518
08/12/2017 11:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18989 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're right, but this appears cleaned.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Now search for the 50c die clash.

I am Omegaraptor, the Seated Liberty Enthusiast. Some of you may recognize me. If anyone needs to know the date on a partial dated 19th Century coin, I am the person to ask.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2821 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find!

Next, I would look for the $20 Gold clash.
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!
Visit my eBay store, I have lots of BINS and auction style listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/In-God-We-Tr...and-Currency

Secret Santa: I collect all old US coins, from Half Cents to Morgan dollars. ;)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next, I would look for the $20 Gold clash.

With only between 30-60 pcs estimated to exist I don't see that happening.

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6745 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely the obverse of 1856.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely the obverse of 1856.

Thanks - I sometimes have a hard time telling.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05