Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's eating George and John?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  7:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IamPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I opened up my 1964 proof set that's been in the closet for ages and the Mr. President's have got some funky stuff on them. Is this just natural ugly toning or is it something that needs to be taken care of? Also what kind of hair is the ladies man rocking? Thanks for your time computers.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3030 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's terrible - I've had ASE's develop waterspots after being slabbed but I still don't know how that happens.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks Moore like mold. You live in a humid climate No. Carolina to Florida? Had weird stuff grow on clothing left hanging on door knobs over two-week vacation in NC. That don't look good whatever it is, say its time to put into some other holder...is that mint cello or other wrap? Acetone may help if organic, if metal corrosion only option is chemicals or leave alone.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IamPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the original mint packaging. Yeah I live in Southwest gulf coast of Florida.

I guess I can try acetone. If that goes my work I can try NGC's conservation dept.
Edited by IamPotato
08/12/2017 9:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cuzzx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is some kind of water problem , I have a Ike dollar with the same stuff on it, came from hurricane Katrina .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3454 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add that the Kennedy is not accented hair.

The lower left serif of the "I" in LIBERTY would be missing.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
46462 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.

Yes, get those out of the mint packaging and try some acetone.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13112 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is eating George and John?
MY theory is that bacteria is to blame.

Water spots as seen here, are not black like 'carbon' spots.
Carbon spots are silver / copper sulfide or Chloride, or a mixture of both.

The water spots seem to be the result of evidence that a bacterial colony was once there.
The metabolism products of bacterial action are acidic, and so the coin has stained in the area where the bacteria colony once flourished. At this point there must have been a sufficient amount of bacterial nutriments (organic) to sustain the colony.

It follows that a coin should be cleaned with acetone before it is slabbed.
I doubt very much if that happens.
There has never been any incentive for a TPGrader to clean coins before they are slabbed.

It also follows that before submitting to be slabbed, a collector should clean coins in acetone before shipping to the TPGrader.
It MAY not be all of the slabber's fault.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6513 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remove them from cello , try Acetone ,if that works get yourself a capital plastic holder for proof sets ,unless air-tites have something better . Start doing this to all your proof sets ,and keep them including all other coins in a safe environment free of humidity ,heat and wetness .
I know ; easier said then done living on Florida's gulf coast .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
9341 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should check all your coins on a regular basis so this doesn't become such a huge problem. Air tite are certainly a good option for holders.

I hope the acetone does the trick.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IamPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone did nothing. Sad face emoticon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, agree with all the above comments. No guarantee of problems "not" developing in mint or proof set or even after coins have been slabbed. Just keep an eye on them. Don't throw them in a hot attic or damp basement for years. Location! Location! Location! Environment! Environment! Environment!
Learn More...
United States
46462 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Acetone did nothing. Sad face emoticon.
Bummer.

Quote:
Location! Location! Location! Environment! Environment! Environment!
I agree.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16803 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry!

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!
Visit my eBay store, I have lots of BINS and auction style listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/In-God-We-Tr...and-Currency
Learn More...
Australia
12666 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks for all the world like horn silver, also known as silver chloride. It often forms when silver is left exposed to high concentrations of chlorine or chloride for long periods.

It certainly shouldn't happen on coins in mint packaging that are just sitting in a cupboard, no matter what the environmental conditions are. Did you keep an opened bottle of bleach in the same closet, or something like that?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05