Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Silver 25 Cent Bobcat 1967 Vs 2017 - Which one wins?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  9:35 pm Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I still had a 25 Cent 1967 and figured I'd compare with the 2017 version.

What do you think? IMO, 1967 wins.

Edited by canadian_coins
08/12/2017 10:15 pm
Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trimble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1967 one looks better to me too...the other cat has mange or something :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
622 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1967 looks more natural. I think texture was added to the 2017 version to make up for a lack of sculptural relief on the subject.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6724 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not cougars, they are bobcats.
Edited by DBM
08/12/2017 10:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are not cougars, they are bobcats.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1885 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New version looks like the shag carpets in vans of the '70s.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
878 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with the 1967, it looks more ghostly, the way Alex Colville designed it to be. I find it irritating that the mint would even attempt to touch up the designs. The new coin also has that laser etched die appearance noticeable on the back lower foot.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canada67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is for 1967. However, I am happy that they brought back the Colville designs in 2017.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4356 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm...

How about Canada Lynx, eh?

Ear tips are a dead giveaway (in real life anyway), as is the ;larger hair volume under the head on both sides. Larger than a typical bobcat in real life also. Since they are mostly northward in Canada, they are mostly a Canadian-found feline -- which is why they were chosen for the REV of the quarter.

At a distance I like the detail in the new coin. But I agree when you magnify the coins, the new one looks like mange

Still beautiful overall though.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
08/13/2017 1:38 pm
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChuckB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish my 1967 coins looked as good as yours.
I like them both, now I need to find a better condition 1967 set
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6724 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Earle42
You are probably correct, but both the Mint and the artist called it "bobcat".
Alex Colville spent most of his life in southern New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where there are bobcats but no Canada Lynx, he most likely was not familiar with Lynx taxonomy and used the name most familiar to him.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5963 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More details make the animal look "flat" imo. Or I just unable to see here relief.

Added:
I have a cat at home. She has a long fur, and the muscles not visible. But when I pet her, I feel exactly same relief, that depicted on the coin of 1967 and the 2017 unfortunately lack it.
Edited by Silveroid
08/13/2017 3:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3543 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Colville's own words:

The wildcat (bobcat) seemed appropriate for this coin, which is large enough for the subtle shape of this common, though rarely seen, animal. It is expressive of a certain intelligent independence and a capacity for formidable action.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
United States
4356 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ Earle42
You are probably correct, but both the Mint and the artist called it "bobcat".
Alex Colville spent most of his life in southern New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where there are bobcats but no Canada Lynx, he most likely was not familiar with Lynx taxonomy and used the name most familiar to him.

Hey - thanks for this info - and also

Quote:
In Colville's own words:

The wildcat (bobcat) seemed appropriate for this coin, which is large enough for the subtle shape of this common, though rarely seen, animal. It is expressive of a certain intelligent independence and a capacity for formidable action.

I am glad you corrected me on this. When I was young and these had come out, the typical word was it was the animals typically associated with Canada - goose, wolf, caribou, lynx, pickeral, beaver, rabbit and a dove (which I did not get the connection with the rabit or dove).

Even a google search for "Canada quarter lynx" or "Canada quarter bobcat" bring up the same pics! So anytime I was referencing this subject, it added to my mistake! I would never have thought to do the bobcat search until you guys educated me.

Another fallacy in my thinking was the larger "side hair" on the head and slightly higher back hip area. These are lynx characteristics.

But the one glaring, and definitive, detail that I never noticed was the length of the tail. The cat on the REV definitely has the bobcat tail.

Thanks for the education!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
08/13/2017 4:00 pm
Valued Member
Canada
249 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add McNickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
goose, wolf, caribou, lynx, pickeral, beaver, rabbit and a dove

Earle42, I swear I take no joy in pointing this out .... the fish on the dime is a mackerel.

You can read what Colville says about the designs here:
http://coinscan.com/des/1967d.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
4356 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@McNickel

Quote:
Earle42, I swear I take no joy in pointing this out .... the fish on the dime is a mackerel.

LOL! You might not, but I sure do! Boy I really blew it on two different animals didn't I?

Admittedly, I was thinking Ontario Walleye (pickeral), but again I should have known better. I have caught an awful lot of walleye in the backwaters of Quebec over the years. I just never really thought of how un-Walleye-ish the dime looks comaperd to the live fish. The design reminds me of how the walleye look when on the board ready to be cleaned and thrown into the pot

This is why I like CCF - education for those of us who definitely need it!

Thanks!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05