Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I need advice on an online ad regarding the 1943 copper penny  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add starnote to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Community,

I came along another seller online who has a 1943 copper penny and they're offering a return as well if I'm not satisfied with the purchase. We had a chat and they're sure that the coin is real as they have mentioned that they took it to a local pawn shop. However, the coin is not certified and they said that they'll send me better pictures of it as well. Their firm price is $2,000.

A few things that still put me in doubt:
--They said the pawn shop told them that they can get $30,000 for that coin in the auction. So, why are they selling it for only $2,000 knowing its value is much more?
--Their username is only numbers, they have low ratings, and that's the only item they have for sale.
--The ad doesn't have clear pictures for me to see or show you all, so they said they'll update it with better pictures tomorrow.

What do you think?
Should I purchase it, take it to a pawn shop and get it checked, and if they say its fake, send it back? Or send it to PCGS, but I'm afraid they may put me through a process that it would be too late to send it back if needed.
Thank you for your time and help.
Edited by starnote
08/13/2017 03:39 am
Learn More...
United States
10960 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:28 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry this is a negative comment, but I vote NO! and the advice in the comments from your other two threads about a 1943 copper cent still apply.
Its most likely a fake, if not slabbed and priced that low.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add starnote to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Fuzzy,

Honestly, I literally want to ask them why they're selling it for that much since they know its value, but I'll leave it.
Learn More...
United States
10960 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:47 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the mint: What’s So Special About the 1943 Copper Penny?

Just a highlight:

Quote:
A 1943 copper cent was first offered for sale in 1958, bringing more than $40,000. A subsequent piece sold for $10,000 at an ANA convention in 1981. The highest amount paid for a 1943 copper cent was $82,500 in 1996.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
536 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not buy any should-be high value coins off of eBay. Especially from low feedback, low quality photos, and massively underpriced.

While you could get your money back, eBay and Paypal and buyer protection and all, is it worth the hassle for a fake coin?

There is no way that it is real. They want some uninformed sucker to buy it, believe it genuine, never get it checked out or spend too long getting it checked...and just pocket the money. Don't be that sucker.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1070 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All you have to go on is their word-they claim that they will return it. They claim they took it to a pawn shop (why not a coin dealer?).
The "deal" is too good to be true, therefore almost certainly not true.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
18022 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[blunt]
Starnote, just give up on the 1943 copper already, please. There are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of fakes flooding the market every day. You can buy them online by the gross for under a $1 each. I get at least a dozen removed from eBay every single day.

You'll make more money flipping burgers with the time you use in this futile get rich quick idea.
[/blunt]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
[blunt]
Starnote, just give up on the 1943 copper already, please. There are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of fakes flooding the market every day. You can buy them online by the gross for under a $1 each. I get at least a dozen removed from eBay every single day.

You'll make more money flipping burgers with the time you use in this futile get rich quick idea.
[/blunt]

Words of wisdom from the Chief himself .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why the heck would you trust a pawn shop? They are not experts in coins, they are experts in selling general merchandise. Yes there are some knowledgeable people, but come on... if they KNOW it's worth 30K, why wouldn't they spend $100 to have it certified, spend 10% in auction fees and sell it net for 26,500 in a couple months?

Run away
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7953 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply quit wasting your time on it. It's 100% certainly a scam.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a scam. Quit wasting your valuable time on it. They can't even prove it's real, which means it's a fake. Give up on this and move on please to another topic.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy it, you are just going to be their next victim.
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24562 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more words they put on an auction, the more I question the validity of the object. On word of advice; RUN!
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/13/2017 1:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is very helpful link...

http://goccf.com/t/294187#2503200

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05