Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are they really "unsearched" lots of coins?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  03:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add starnote to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Community,

When people post ads online saying that their coin lots are unsearched, are they really "unsearched"?

Has anyone ever bought an unsearched lot of coins online? If so, what is your experience? What did you find interesting and what did you find disappointing?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
536 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it depends on how you're acquiring these unsearched rolls. For example, I have a full box of $25 in cents, have had it for going on two years now, still have yet to search the rolls. Too many household projects at the moment...I'll finish them eventually.

That $25 is unsearched. Am I expecting anything? A few wheaties. A number of Canadian. A few 2009's. Maybe a nice Wide/Close AM. Maybe some doubled dies if I were so inclined to examine the coins to that level. Really...nothing much.

Everything, though, everything, that you buy on eBay is searched. Well, not really...more assembled. Start with an array of coins, and assemble your gimmick rolls. All you'll get is what's showing on the ends, plus junk. Low-grade not damaged junk if you're lucky.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, They are just waiting for newbies to be attracted by their so-called unsearched rolls . Trust us ,we've been there - done that . And in the end we were mostly disappointed .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7342 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, avoid those listings. It's just a marketing ploy.

Quote:
Trust us ,we've been there - done that...

Yep, this question comes up here at least monthly.

On the other hand, while these "unsearched" rolls are almost definitely anything but, they can be fun to go through anyway or can be a good way to get a start on filling a "from circulation" album if that's your thing.

to CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7953 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A simple answer. No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4356 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy them at garage sales - maybe.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It means that coins are "unsearched" by YOU!
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15324 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
3456 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rolls of "wheat pennies" with crazy coins at the end (gold, silver, etc) are a straight up scam. Mixed lots of "unsearched" US coins are likewise probably stacked so the seller wins every time.

Your chances get better the further you stray from people's comfort zone. Lots of world coins were probably searched for silver, but not for anything else. Ancients very often get unloaded in bulk by clueless inheritors or dealers, and very valuable stuff can be picked from lots of junk.

But yeah, the odds of getting a solid roll of quarter Eagles in a penny roll is zilch.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you luck out and get an unsearched lot, it will be because of exactly that, luck. Anything advertised as unsearched, will 99.9% of the time be searched. I bought a lot of Shield nickels once that just happened to be unsearched, but it wasn't advertised that way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "unsearched" scam is a handy way for unscrupulous sellers to dump problem coins that would never sell by themselves by "salting" rolls with cleaned, cull, damaged, and counterfeit semi-keys and key dates.

Even estate-sale collections are almost always thoroughly searched and cherry-picked with the best items offered in private sales, long before the average collector ever sees the leftovers.

If you want to see truly-unsearched coin collections, your last remaining sources are from family members and heirs dumping Mom or Dad or Grandpa's collection at the local pawn shop or coin shop. This is why some of the most impressive, deepest collections are often held by dealers and ex-dealers - they get first crack at obtaining coins before the market ever sees them.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15741 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. But only by Aliens.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unsearched is a big fat lie.
Learn More...
Australia
12644 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theoretically yes, there are "unsearched rolls" out there. But they would be sold by people who would not think of describing them as being "unsearched". In all likelihood, they would not be sold on eBay at all, since their owners would consider them as "money", not as "potentially valuable coins".

Why would anyone who knows that "these rolls might contain valuable coins" choose not to open them and search through them themselves?

Another logical impossibility: "unsearched rolls of wheat cents". How could they possibly know that it was a roll of purely wheat cents, if they were truly "unsearched"? Surely somebody would have had to search through them to sort out the wheat from the chaff. What did they do, give everybody doing the sorting some thick blurry glasses, so they could tell the difference between Wheats and Memorials but not have enough eyesight left to actually read the date and mintmark?

No, everybody actually selling "unsearched rolls" on eBay is a liar. Buy them in that knowledge, if you wish to, but personally, I'd recommend not giving any business to liars.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take a bit of different viewpoint. Now, I figure any coin lot offered has indeed been searched prior to me acquiring these coins. If I "search" a group of wheat cents for only dates and mintmarks, then that batch of coins is unsearched by me for any error coins that may be there. When I state this fact(truth) in the context of selling these coins as "unsearched", then this is true, isn't a lie (Sap!). Over the past four years I have purchased more than 27,000 wheat cents in bulk from a variety of sources. Included in these purchases is one " unsearched" roll sold on eBay just for grins, knowing it would be all common dates, it was of course the same as we pull CRHing bank boxes.

Were all my purchases just skunks? No. Most 1000 bulk LWCs had ratios of 4% to 19% of the teens through thirties and those were more common date/mm's. Average overall was 7% 10's-30's and 93% of the 40's/50's. Now, one time I did receive what I considered a truly "unsearched" batch...there was 53% 10's-30's including (5) 1909VDB, (1)1926S, (2)1922D, (1)1910S & (1)1915S plus a large amount of 1931/P/D, 1932P/D 1933P/D which I NEVER saw in any other batch bought. I thought I'd hit the jackpot, found a wonderful source.( guy wasn't coin collector, just bought LWC's from his customers at trade shows) So, ordered two more batches, seemed like it took longer to receive it. These two were the absolute worst of any purchase, ever! 3%, mostly 1936,37,38,39pP's and 97% 50's D mints. I'm assuming what happened was he sold all he had at first, when I ordered more he went to a dealer and got the trash there to fill the order! Risky business buying bulk coins, most often buyer gets taken.

"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah ,when you see the word " Unsearched " on E-Bay or any other online seller ,just disregard it and move on .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Edited by T-BOP
08/14/2017 08:04 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05