Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Quarters Machine Doubled On Reverse

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,204Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On the ATB Quarters the reverse outer devices on the ring are incuse. (sunk into the coin) The die have raised devices that strike these into the coin. When the slightest machine movement happens it alters the devices. Sometimes making them larger that normal. Some think these are doubled dies. But they are just machine movement that causes these. So I've been wondering how often out of 100 random coins will we find this MD on this area? Here are my figures:
28% normal struck
72% MD (Letters larger on one end or the other)
58% of the MD has the devices outside of the normal design area.

Here is what the ones that are outside of the normal area look like. They can be above or to the either side to qualify as this. One device or several.

So a very large percentage of these quarters are affected. If you would like to save 100 of the ATB Quarters in your area, you could help add more information for this thread. Just 100 random ATB Quarters (not in OBW rolls) and see how many normal ones you find out of 100. How many are MD? I will be looking for your results.

I was surprised that 72 percent were affected by MD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's a high percentage of MD. What kills me Coop is sellers on eBay sell these as "Doubled Dies" when in fact are just MD with no extra value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2250 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems they are using the dies alot longer. I wonder how many coins coins get struck before a die crack appears.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a die issue. It is a striking issue causing the MD. The crack is not the issue. The constant MD fooling so many collectors. Out of the 100 I check, 58 would probably be sold on eBay.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating -- It makes me wonder how long the machines can run before they begin to shift off-balance.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I guess MD is very common for some reason on the " ATB" Quarters. I wish the sellers on eBay would stop selling these as Doubled Dies. Just more bogus sellers. I can see why they easily get tricked, but they should do more research and know their facts better before they even consider selling these Quarters. They are not only fooling themselves, but buyers too and that's not good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best you can do is tell them, they might not know. If they persist, report them.
Coop that's a pretty high percentage. It's about the same as the 1999 nickels. I guess some years they just have trouble with the machines.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I agree. That's the best thing to do is contact them and tell them they are not errors. If they keep persisting, report the listings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike Doubling is an error and there is a market for the stronger ones. The dishonesty comes in when someone knows it and calls it a Doubled Die. That's false advertising and should carry a penalty. I hope if eBay gets enough complaints they give em the boot.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2017  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope they get complaints to remove them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, very interesting topic,this will be a great topic to continue ,in my experience the numbers been pretty close to your estimate of 70% .I have seen some very interesting movements on the devices and as you stated correctly, all enlarged One end or the other,hope this thread continues with more members chiming in with their searches,I will try to post some examples also.
Must sign off now,getting late
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful contribution, Coop. I always learn something new with such discussions. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe it or not, it took me quite a while to get that many quarters. I used 100 to see how many out of the number were affected. Easy math. How many have it, then that is the percentages.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok coop, here are the results of my search going through: 2014-P Utah 2011-D Washington 2014-S Tennessee

UTAH : 79 MD out of 100, 79% (69% larger letters(55coins),30% outside of normal design(24 coins)
WASHINGTON: 23 OUT OF 40 57% (56% larger letters(23 coins) , 44% outside of normal design(10 coins)
TENNESSEE: 66 out of 100 66% (66% larger letters(44 coins) , 33% outside of normal design(22 coins)
I found the Washington to be with the most interesting MD's

Posting some examples thought they are pretty interesting!

Edited by Chase007
08/18/2017 4:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Chase007. Amazing results huh? I now see why eBay sellers get very tricked easily as Doubled Dies.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2017  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. so the keepers from this series will be the ones that came out right since they are more scarce.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,204Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05