Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-D Kennedy Half Dollar Question...

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  9:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

Is it possible for a 1971-D Kennedy half dollar to have some silver in it?

My great uncle gave me one years ago and I've held onto it as a family heirloom.
I did the ice test, comparing it to a 1999 Kennedy that I have, and it clearly melted a lot faster. Also, I put a drop of chlorine on both and the 1971-D tarnished almost instantly.
It weighs slightly more than the 1999 and is thicker, but both have some brown on the sides, so I know it's not all silver or even 40%. The 1971-D also has a dull surface while the 1999 is very shiny. Anybody know if it's possible for the 1971-D to have a little bit of silver in it?

Edited by Cass1260
08/22/2017 10:36 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few of the 1971-D and 1977-D were struck in Silver/Clad composition by error.
If you have an accurate scale, the regular weighs 11.34 grams.... If its the clad/40% it will weigh different, more like 11.50
In that case I would send it in to NGC or PCGS and have it graded... Nice find!
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Edited by mtuma3
08/21/2017 10:17 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really? Is it possible that it has some silver in it?
How does the grading work?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it really is the error coin, it could be valuable (maybe $400 to $500 - I haven't seen one for sale in ages)
NGC.com or PCGS.com both have detailed instructions on submitting coins.
I would wait for some more knowledgeable people than me to weigh in opinions...

Do not do any more tests or try to clean it !
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Edited by mtuma3
08/21/2017 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some info on this topic from years ago:

http://goccf.com/t/49060
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I'll check it out.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a sure way to tell if it has any silver in it other than sending it to NGC?
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 11.5
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was doing some research and from what I can tell, the majority of the 71 errors do not show any clad on the rims, but supposedly 1 coin was graded silver with the clad edge.
Don't know what to advise, hate to see you spend money on a $3 coin if it doesn't pan out.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol... Me too! I really don't know either. My great uncle, who willed it to me, worked for the government and lived in the DC area until he passed away suddenly. I never understood why he held onto this coin in particular. I thought maybe the date had some significance to him, because it was in a jewelry box along with other sintemenal things. He never said.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2318 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!!

If you are unsure of what you have, I would take it to a local coin shop where you live and see what they say before I sent it in to be graded.

Quote:
I did the ice test, comparing it to a 1999 Kennedy that I have, and it clearly melted a lot faster. Also, I put a drop of chlorine on both and the 1971-D tarnished almost instantly.

While both of these test are new to me, they don't sound very healthy for the coins and could hurt the value. I would not try this again on any coin.
Edited by MontCollector
08/22/2017 12:32 am
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cass1260 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops.. I didn't know. I watched a YouTube video on "how to tell what composition your coin is made of". It said that silver would tarnish quickly, whereas copper would not, and to put a drop of chlorine on it to tell the difference. If it's silver, it will tarnish (but can be polished back to normal) and if it's not, it won't do anything. Hence the pictures with the chlorine in both of them! Also that silver would melt ice quickly. I put a piece of ice on both coins. The 1971-D melted 5 times faster than the 1999. Yikes.. Shouldn't have done that, but I didn't think either coin had any value (beside sentimental) until I did.
Pillar of the Community
United States
862 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your great uncle probably though this coin was silver (or at least something was different) and that is why it was kept in a separate box. Can you post a closeup picture of the edge of the coin? That might help decide.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10413 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that a Specific Gravity Test should be performed. Here are a couple links regarding the process:

http://goccf.com/t/39666

Read swamperbob's post here:

http://goccf.com/t/24689#201659

Good luck!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30430 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried the "tissue test?"
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05