Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You vs NGC 20 Mark Germany 1911  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  10:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys ,
this coin is in a NGC Slab. On the one hand it has a realy nice luster and no greater scatches. (Unlike the majority of its brothers and other coins gradet with the same number).
On the other hand it has some flatness in the hair and on the check. The Avers Stamp was already used in 1906, but not in 1908. Almost all other coins of 1911 have the same loss of hair detail as well. Just a few examples don't have the stampcracks at 6 o clock.
So what would be an accurate grade for of this coin?
I have seen coins of the same grade that had a much worse eye appeal. But maybe these ones were overgradet.
Thank you for all answers!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10008 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
63 at the top end.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the answer! My english is not so good, so I don't understand the therm ''at the top end''. Does that mean you think the coin is a 63 (NGC gradet just one with a 64) or do you mean that 63 is the maximum, but it is probably lower?
Any other opinions?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10008 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maximum 63.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And minimum? Thank you for your answer!
Are there further opinions?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1539 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alex.
First- that is a very beautiful coin. And your English seems to be fairly good, as you understood the meaning of the previous poster's expression. Definitely better than my German.
I would think that it is MS62.
It possibly could be AU58. Not that I think it is, but NGC may have said so. You mention a common trait amongst 1911 coins is hair detail loss. NGC may not have enough knowledge about this particular issue and may have viewed it as wear. For most US coins, the top tier grading companies can take into account known weak struck year/denominations, but they simply may not know as much detail about world coins.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the answer!
The coin is neither 58 nor 63 . So 60,61 and 62 remain. Are there further opinion?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1539 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alex. My guess was 62.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10585 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not really look like there is wear, and if you say it is not AU-58, then I shall trust you. It looks like there are a lot of marks though, but probably not enough for it to go down to an MS-60. Between MS-61 and MS-62, I am leaning towards MS-61.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo, Joseph got it!
But he already knews the coin from an other thred
In deed it is gradet as MS 61. In comparison to other MS 61 pieces I've seen while research it is maybe undergradet. The seller told me that the grade also depends on who send in the coin . What do you think about that accusation?
On the US marked german coins seem to be cheaper. Can anyone tell me another source than eBay? Something like the european ma shops?
Greatings from Germany
Alex
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10585 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bingo, Joseph got it!
But he already knews the coin from an other thred

Opps, my apologies—I forgot about that thread.

Quote:
The seller told me that the grade also depends on who send in the coin . What do you think about that accusation?

I seem to recall this being mentioned in other threads on this site, but I am unable to find any of those posts. However, if I remember correctly, they had to do with big dealers sending in large submissions, and how grading companies tend to be more lenient on the grades they give their coins. I am not sure if that is true or not, but that is just going off my memory.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1357 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a theory on coin prices: the further you get from the source (in this case Germany), the cheaper it gets. Simply because most people collect things close to home. The same goes for the offering of coins in terms of quantity: the further you get from home, the less the likelihood of finding a coin from your country. So far I haven't been proven wrong here.

I think MS-61 is a fair grade. The coin has a huge amount of tine scratches which made me believe that a high AU grade would be the answer.

You may find some alternatives for eBay in The Netherlands. Catawiki has shops (hard to find these days but they still exist, they have about 700.000 coins for sale there and also higher end coins via auctions). Marktplaats is a known site as well. Otherwise, in Norway we use Finn.no for basically trading everything but the kitchen sink, including coins.

My experience is that the German MA Shops has a lot to offer, but it's also quite expensive (because coin collecting is an expensive hobby in Germany).
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Edited by UltraRant
09/24/2017 06:47 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05