Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

spruett001's 3,000th Post Contest!  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  11:40 pm Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay folks. I reached number 3,000 last night and if you read my last post in the "Suggestions" topic, you have a pretty good idea of what this will be.

The Contest

Guess the next three coins (1999 or earlier) I find in public!

The Rules

You must have at least 50 posts to play.

Open to members from all countries.

Coins dated 2000-present don't count!

Guesses should include coin # (1,2 and 3), date, mintmark, denomination and the date found.

If you don't designate a mintmark or include "(P)" then it will be assumed to be Philadelphia.

You may include all three guesses in one post or in separate posts.

I will announce the first coin after 4 days or finding it (whichever is longer). There will be at least a 4 day window for guesses for each coin but, it may be more depending on how long it takes me to find them.

This shall include coins found in or near a Coinstar, vending machine/self-checkout trays, the floor of a public place or the ground/sidewalk/parking lot of a public place and similar spaces. This does not include any change I receive from a transaction.

If there are no exact date, mm, denomination guesses, date will be the prime determining factor, then denomination, then mintmark, then date found. This may change depending on any situations that arise but, I'll make sure it's fair.

If two correct guesses are exactly the same, the first to post will win.

Only U.S. coins.

Everyone has at least until Midnight ET (Forum Time) on September 18th, 2017 to submit a minimum of the Coin #1 guess. It may be extended if I have not yet found a coin.

I hope that's not just completely confusing.

The Prizes

Each winner is guaranteed a silver quarter (which type?). I will also include other goodies as I see fit to even out the prize groups which may include proofs, errors and conversation pieces.

Okay....so......

What are the next three pre-2000 coins I find and when?
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
09/13/2017 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4958 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st coin:
1993-D Lincoln Cent on Sept 16th
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First guess!

For everyone else, that is how guesses should be posted whether all in one or separate posts.

"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:15 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

#1 coin will be a 1987D Waashinton Quarter found under the Coinstar machine at Wallyworld on September 15th at 2:30 PM

Practicing my clairvoyance! Tarot cards didn't work...

"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
5859 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check TheNickelGuy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 A 1996 P Jefferson nickel Sept 17th
#2 A 1978 P Lincoln cent Sept 23rd
#3 A 1988 D dime Sept 28th

The odds are astronomical but I'll participate. Thanks for the game and congrats on 3000 posts.
( I read them all )

sorry, I had to edit because I see I had to also predict a date found. I think powerball would be a better bet tho.
Hello admins
Can I please magically be transformed from TheNickelGuy to simply TNG as my member name? People call me that anyway.
Thank you!
Edited by TheNickelGuy
09/14/2017 12:29 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:46 am  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1996 d cent found 9/19
1988 D nickel found 9/24
1985 D quarter found 9/28
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  01:18 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The odds are astronomical but I'll participate...
I think powerball would be a better bet tho.

If I count anything back to '65 (based on previous finds including change), 2.1 mm's (allowing for the earlier circulation s-mints), 4 common denoms under halves and two weeks worth of found dates: there are only 4,116 possible answers.

If you consider it being the next three found then your odds increase to 1:1,372 to match everything exactly.

I forgot to mention: If anyone guesses exactly,
there will be a nice bonus prize added!
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st coin: 1974 D Lincoln cent on September 14.

(Or was it the butler using a candlestick in the dining room!)

Congrats on the 3000 posts spruett.

And thank you for another interesting contest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8740 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your 3000+ posts. I always enjoy your comments.

My guesses would be:

#1 - 1987-D Lincoln cent found tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm , Quite a contest but I have to agree with TheNickelGuy. But since we haven't had a contest in awhile ,here go's :
#1 1982-P Lincoln on 9/17/17 at 12:53 pm .

Would you like to know what the weather was like at time of finding this coin?
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congrats on the Milestone!!

#1 dime 1997 P September 18
#2 penny 1983 D also September 18
#3 penny 1995 P September 20

Pillar of the Community
United States
8740 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happens if you find 12 coins in a pile?

I hadda ask
Pillar of the Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 - 1998 Lincoln Cent on Sept 15th, perhaps the first coin viewed in a 12 coins pile.
#2 - 1987-D Jefferson nickel
#3 - 2007 Roosevelt dime
Edited by nfine
09/14/2017 4:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6358 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Oh boy , I can see this getting to be complicated .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

If I happen to, say, come across a Coinstar that has a handful of change left, I will blindly select one coin at a time for the first three found noting the order I picked them. If there are three coins on the ground near each other, I'll pick them up one at a time starting with the one closest to me and note the order. I'll try my best to make this honest!

Quote:
Oh boy , I can see this getting to be complicated .

I've found that even the simplest ideas become complicated when making a contest out of them.
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st coin 1984 P penny 9/18
2nd coin 1982 P penny9/19
3rd coin 1989 p dime 9/20

Thanks for the contest I'm really excited to see the results
Congratulations on 3000 posts!
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05