Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possibly 1985 D Cent DDR?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dilworth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

This coin is in bad shape but noticed what appears to be a double but I can't find any info on a 1985 D DDR.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1198 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is MD not a Doubled die.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, MD or strike double. But in the future it would be good to see more of the coin.

to the forum!
- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Edited by Biedercoins
09/14/2017 05:55 am
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dilworth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any other doubling on the coin.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the others have said, MD. Flattening effect.
DD's...on the hunt: 95, 92, 83, 72, 71, 70, 69, 64, 59, 58, 55, 47, 42, 41, 39, 35, 34.

(Found since (August 2017) signature creation: 82 DDR)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  08:29 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD for sure. But don't give up searching as there is valuable stuff out there waiting to be found.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep searching. We have folks report neat finds almost every day.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24732 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can your tell it is machine damage? Note the overall size of the device is normal, but it is reduced from die movement after the strike. Thus that area is damaged. I can't think of any examples of outside edge doubling on coins. They usually are on the inner part of the profile of devices:

Note the image on the edge. The outside part of the device in not altered, but on the image on the left you can see where MD damaged that area of the whole profile of that area. Your coin is showing the same altered look. The color of the altered look usually looks like one color. The contour of the device was damaged. Now it is flat rather than rounded.

Note the light to dark color of the doubled area. On MD the altered area is flat looking showing just one color:

Note the MD example on the right side of these images? That is how you can tell the differences.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05