Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Carbon Spots On Franklin Proof

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
310 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  3:54 pm Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a 1958 Franklin Proof, but when I got it home and took it out of its holder to put it into my CAPS album, I noticed that it had two small 'carbon spots' (?) on the back just up at the edge and also some carbon staining along a small section of the "serrated edge" of the coin.

The coin is otherwise nice looking, but I am trying to collect very nice quality Franklins.

Do small carbon spots like this impact the rating of a Franklin?

Any way to remove it? Would Acetone help perhaps? I have also heard people mention something called MS73, but I don't want to do anything to mess-up an otherwise nice looking proof.

I am attaching a photo that shows the spots - they are on the back only.

Sorry so blurry, but hopefully you can get an idea of what they look like.

I will try to take another photo if you think that would help.

Regards,

Michael

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12017 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Michael , Do not use acetone or any other solvent on this proof , it will not work . Suck it up , you can't return it because you already removed the coin from it's holder .
maybe some proof coin experts can advise you what to do with it .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"carbon spots" generally are in reference to copper coins. that looks like undesirable toning.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Carbon spots are exactly that - little black spots - yours seem to be some sort of blackish toning probably from a holder that it was in at one time
Edited by Mark1959
09/15/2017 4:41 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42761 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No help for that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have dipped modern proofs in acetone and it will not hurt the coin, but it will not remove toning spots. I would leave the the coin alone. You can not wipe or rub in any way the proof mirrors as it will leave fine hair line scratches. If you dipped the coin in EZEst, it could remove the toning spot, but could also leave a milk spot or black specs where the spot was.
Edited by Slider23
09/15/2017 9:21 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try NCS, conservation service through NGC. I've never used them, just thinking out loud.
Maybe one oft the other members has utilized their services.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16081 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term 'carbon' spots is a misnomer. They are in fact, shallow areas of corrosion. The black is either a metallic sulfide or oxide, or a mixture of both.
That is why they are unaffected by acetone, which is an organic solvent. 'Carbon' spots are INorganic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42761 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No wonder I got a D in chemistry.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the advice, and clarifying what this is and to not try to mess with it..

I am probably going to try to return the coin.. I purchased it a a local coin store.. and have purchased many other items from the store and they are usually pretty easy to work with.. although this will be a nice test of their "customer service"...

It was in a 2x2, and you couldn't really see the "spots"until I took it out to put it in my CAPS album.

Will look for another coin that doesn't have any spots...

They ruin an otherwise really nice looking coin, and I also worry that the toning may "grow" over time and make it look worse.

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin was in a 2X2, and you are a regular customer, I would expect them to take it back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1459 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet those will dip right off with Jeweluster. I would dip it, but just for a second and rinse it thoroughly.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16081 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is VERY common to find 'carbon' spotting on Australian bronze proof coins.
That is the result of poor Mint packaging which offered little protection from their environment.

Even when they were specifically made for collectors in the period 1955 until 1966, they were still poorly protected.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bet those will dip right off with Jeweluster. I would dip it, but just for a second and rinse it thoroughly
This is something that should only be done after gaining some experience. If you have never used this stuff before, expect to ruin a few coins before knowing how to be successful.

This is not to say it would not work. I am rather confident that Andrew99 could properly do what he has suggested.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16081 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2017  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Long experience and Jeweluster may well work with with circulated silver coins, but I have my doubts, when it comes to mirror cameo proof coins.
And I don't have the guts to try.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05