Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI I Have This 2004 D LMC White With Worn Reeded Edge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
256 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Iwannado to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help I don't know what to make of this any ideas ? It weighs 2.52 grams it absolutely has a worn or polished ? reeded edge it's very hard to capture it on my CAM but it's there oh the coin to the left is old copper the middle is zincoln then this 2004d on the right the reverse center has gunk on it

Edited by Iwannado
09/21/2017 3:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you seeing a reeded edge on this coin?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny rings around the edge of both peripheries make it look like it is less in thickness, but it's not if you compare the full thickness. Those rings on the edges could be from anything. They used to look like that for encased cents, but I'm not thinking too many 2004 cents ever see an encasement.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not possible for a Lincoln cent to have a reeded edge, the US Mint does not use a 19mm reeded collar.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a couple of stinkin zinkins other day as "encased" and ya all jumped my %$#&@! Even Bio said it couldn't be which does make cents, an encased zinkin? I wonder if this isn't some machine effect, meaning getting caught in a counting machine and rolling or could this also be a product of a new style coin roll crimper? I've had some paper rolls that have been crimp-rolled quite tightly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The beveled rims on the OP's coin are indicative of a weak strike. A strong strike will produce sharp, squared rims(proof) while a weak strike will not completely fill the collar and the rims will have a beveled appearance. As for the odd color, the coin has either been chemically cleaned or has been plated.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Iwannado, quarters have a reeded edge.

Good eye -- for noticing the beveled edge. (The color was pretty obvious.)

Keep hunting. There's stuff out there waiting to be found.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05