Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to forum and need help with collection.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rosscomann89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have 1895 one shilling and 1844 one shilling. They are in Farley good condition apart from some discolouration but could be cleaned up. Didn't want to do it myself incase it hurt the value. Does anyone know the value of these? I did do some research but I get different valuations. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Great Britain? ***
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.

Questions like this will get more attention and good answers in another forum. I've flagged this post so that the moderators can place it in the appropriate forum.

I don't collect coins such as yours, so I can't give you any good answers other than to say it is usually not a good idea to clean coins unless you are absolutely sure you know the proper way to do it.
Edited by 88isgreat
09/24/2017 1:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1117 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have to ask how to/should I clean... then leave them be.

For these two... the 1895 is scrap silver (common and rather worn).

Your pic of the 1844(?) isn't very clear... but that looks to be rather worn as well. Also, while slightly more interesting than an 1890s piece, there's no shortage of that date in that condition.

For something like this, eBay is your price guide. Note that only the ones with prices in green sold:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Coins/11...LH_PrefLoc=2
Edited by realeswatcher
09/26/2017 11:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2288 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know its a temptation to "improve" the look of a coin but best to resist and never clean any coin. If something can be cleaned then it will keep till some time in the future however once you clean it that process and accompanying damage cannot be undone.

These coins are cool, and are worth their silver content but usually sell for slightly above. In 1844 4,466,880 were made and 1895 8,880,651.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1172 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both coins will value at melt.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05