Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The box that keeps giving  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm 35 rolls into my 11th box and now I've found a '61 proof. Wow, I really like this box!

(I can't understand why the images are rotated when I post them. They're fine when I have them on my desktop. Anyway, I hope you can forgive me.)
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! It is always surprising to see an old proof pop out of a roll. Make sure to share the box's results!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't kill the messenger, BUT I think that is just an extremely nice business strike 1963. but I want to see what others say. The pictures might not be doing the coin justice.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Edited by Mark1959
09/24/2017 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a PROOF strike, just nice for the year AU56

Here's a nasty 60's proof:

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Edited by Crazyb0
09/24/2017 8:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree, this is an impaired proof.

No way a BS has fields like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo may be off but coin in hand the rims are spot on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are MANY early '60's that have clear fields, was a process of planchet making then, major diff's are POLISHED planchets and CRISP details. Your coin has very "standard" details (letters etc). I can pull out my 1961D that looks better than yours, thinks that's a proof? Found it CRH a year ago. I have foiund "impared" proofs, they ALL had evenly spaced. wire rims. The real key is, is the rim equal thickness 360 degrees around, if not, no got. that simple.
Get your copy Today!
Edited by Crazyb0
09/24/2017 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has mirror fields, not clear fields. My photo is far from perfect, but in hand the coin is clearly a proof.
In fact, I'd be glad to mail you the coin so you can see for yourself (so long as you agree to mail it back.). Message me your address and it'll go out tomorrow.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6467 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. I'm delighted anytime I find a Jefferson without some sort of scar on his face. You got a nice one.

As for the rims....none of the photos show coins with consistently even rims. I think it's all about the camera -- not the photographer, the camera. On Crazyb0's proof photo, there appears to be a visible difference between 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Side lighting sometimes distorts the coin being photographed but taking a picture with overhead lighting is difficult.
When someone posts a picture that is all we have to judge the coin from - we don't have the benefit of having it in hand.
That's why one should always preview the pictures they are about to post and if they aren't what you want to show then try taking different ones.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Edited by Mark1959
09/24/2017 10:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am willing to admit I might be wrong but I'll eat may hat if this isn't a proof.

I will gladly send it to someone else to verify. I;m always ready to learn something new.

Any takers?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2017  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Get your copy Today!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3470 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  02:46 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Labeling the comparisons you made would help, Crazyb0, primarily because the positions are switched.

@NJ Bob

You can send it to me if you wish (just PM me). I have many nickel proofs and Uncirculated business strikes to compare it to. I personally think that it is a proof.

Quote:
The real key is, is the rim equal thickness 360 degrees around, if not, no got. that simple.

No. The real key is what kind of steps it has. They look pretty nice in the pic. If it may be Business Strike FS, it's way, way more valuable than the proof.

Give it a little time here, though.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
09/25/2017 03:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always judged a proof by a combination of the quality and definition of the strike and fields. This coin passes my test.

I've never seen a FS like this but there's always a first time, so Spruett, PM sent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides, how on earth would a BS stay this pristine over 55 years in circulation?
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's why one should always preview the pictures they are about to post and if they aren't what you want to show then try taking different ones.

The photos I posted were the best I was going to do with my phone and my failing eyesight. The point was to simply show you the coin, not to argue about the width of the rims.

But I appreciate your response and I generally don't disagree with you about making sure photos tell the story you intend them to.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05