Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On My Ebay Purchase Canadian 50 Cent Piece

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this 50 cent piece in the mail today from eBay. I am not the most thrilled with it since it has an ugly tone. But yet it grades MS-63. How can something so hideous grade so well? I could not tell from the sellers pictures than this coin had this toning.I paid around $20USD.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1398 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooo I like that toning! What'd does the other side look like? And 20$ is great!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is toning on the reverse but has more flash. I thought the obverse was a bit dull.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4378 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the worst problem with ICCS grading, eye appeal means nothing to them, as I always say there are great ms 63 and crappy 63
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think eye appeal should be taken into consideration. Does PCGS or NGC take it into consideration?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2232 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK to me.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both PCGS and NGC factor in eye appeal ion their grade opinions.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin looks like it was in one of the 6 coin card board holders that the RCM used back in the day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just not a fan of toning. I find it to be unattractive. I have been known to spend coins in my collection that have toned. I wouldn't with this one obviously. My 50 cent collection are all nice white and bright coins and I think this one would would be out of place and bring my collection down. I will keep this one but keep on the look out for a replacement at some point.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2587 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
toning has nothing to do with grade, you got a ms 63 coin,, if you want a clean one, look for someone who advertises blast white.. or ask the seller about toning before you buy.. did the seller mislead you, or not.. do you have the auction number..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the coin based on the photos provided in the listing. But the coin doesn't look like that in hand. I do know I would not have bought it looking the way it does. The photo shows very faint dark spots but looked mostly white.

It's funny the lesser grade MS-60 1953 lg/sf I bought from them they graded and sealed has superior eye appeal over the small date MS-63 coin in the ICCS slab.

Valued Member
Canada
214 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some collectors like toning, some don't. It is simply a matter of personal preference.
This seller offers a 14 day return policy. If you don't like it, why not just return it and keep on the lookout better one.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16071 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2017  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that you cannot grade eye appeal.
Eye appeal can be very subjective and heavily influenced by personal opinion.
That does not stop poor or excellent eye appeal contributing to the value and saleability of a coin very significant way.

It then has revert to value being in the eye of the beholder, and outside the strict grading opinion.

The prospective buyer considers the coin overall, and finally makes a wholistic judgement to buy or not.
Some coins have less than attractive toning.
Some people prefer blast white coins, some prefer nicely patinated coins. That is THEIR preference.
Edited by sel_69l
10/03/2017 07:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2017  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you, TheForce. I had the exact same issue a few years ago (probably not the same seller). There's "attractive" toning, and then there's this black stuff. To each their own I guess. Mine is on a ICCS PL65 Cameo for goodness sake. But what can you do, it would probably cost almost purchase price to ship it back. $20 lesson on how to read eBay scanned images, or something.
Valued Member
Taiwan
303 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2017  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take advantage of the sellers return policy as mentioned in an earlier post if you do not like the coin.
If you buy coins from photographs without seeing the coin in hand this can happen. I would consider
the return postage and any other expenses incurred on my behalf as a part of doing business in this
manner. If you keep the coin or return it the tuition paid in this case is very inexpensive.
Edited by Everest
10/03/2017 05:12 am
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2017  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are scans in the auction, not photos, so it must be assumed the surfaces won't be depicted accurately. That said, I don't think those images depict the coin accurately enough to preclude a return based on inaccurate information.

ICCS doesn't use eye appeal as a grading factor to the extent that US TPG's do, and in my opinion that's a good thing. Too often you'll see a coin from PCGS or NGC whose technical detail doesn't exceed 62 or 63, in a 64-65 holder simply because it meets their definition of "pretty." What if you don't agree with their definition?

This is not the most attractive of coins, but it's far from "hideous" in my opinion, and could well have technical merit exceeding the numerical grade assigned.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05