Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan 1879 CC - Bought It But Not Sure It Is Original

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jari6615 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone:

I am completely new here and I apologize if I did something wrong ...
A while ago I bought a beautiful Morgan 1879CC but then someone told me that the coin is not original ... I am not any professional and, therefore, I would like to ask you experienced and professional collectors about your opinion. Thank you very much for al you help amd kindness.

Thank you very much to everyone for their time, kindness and help. Thank you very much once again!
Here are some imiges of the coin:

Edited by jari6615
10/06/2017 7:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For one thing that toning throws up a red flag for me. Other's with much experience on Morgans will chime in a bout the coin itself.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read that the 1889 cc Morgan dollar was one of the most conterfeited US coin. I didn't see the 1879 cc Morgan dollar on there but maybe didn't look far enough.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning seems like AT
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the best of my knowledge, that mint mark location (high, shifted well right, tilted left) is unknown for 1879-CC Morgans. The color is plainly artificial, I suspect to hide some of the features which would identify it as a counterfeit at a glance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42669 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing of MM positions on this date, but the coloring is clearly unnatural. Sorry.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9077 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this style CC mint mark was used until 1880.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I read that the 1889 cc Morgan dollar was one of the most conterfeited US coin.

Nothing stops a counterfeiter - I've seen 1913-S Lincoln Cent counterfeit coins - being a rare coin doesn't stop them there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDdave and Dave700x are both very good on Morgans with date and mint mark position. I looked at VAM World and could not find a 1879CC with the same mint mark position. Your coin appears to be a counterfeit. Due your own due diligence on weight, magnet test and VAM verification position of mint mark. If you can return the coin for a refund that would be your best bet.

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you can return the coin for a refund that would be your best bet.

Quote:
A while ago I bought a beautiful Morgan 1879CC but then someone told me that the coin is not original

I think "A while ago" renders that moot!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with others mintmark position no good. Toning obviously doctored. Run away and get your $ back.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake toning on a fake Morgan.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4722 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintmark is not correct. Counterfeit coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2017  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy expensive coins and are not really semi-expert at least then buy certified coins only. Online I buy only certified coins. Price is also a indicator of bad coins. If they are so cheap it does not makes sense then it won't make cents. Nobody gives these coins away these days unless they are really dumb, and then you would be taking advantage of someone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2017  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin's fabric is off. Unfortunately, it is clearly a fake.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05