Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No. 838b - 1914 Series - $5 Red Seal Fed Note VF30-35?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2017  9:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cerecords to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum. I am an on and off collector, and love paper currency. I spent about 3 years working for a Numismatics company when I was in my early 20's, so I have a little experience from that and collecting, not much though.

I may sell this as an ungraded note, or possibly get it graded and then sell it, but I thought I would try and gather some opinions on it first. I think it would grade between VF30 to XF40.

This is what I am seeing. Feel free to tell me if I am wrong.
And any suggestion as to the grade would be greatly appreciated.
I want to make sure I accurately represent this note if I sell it.

Light vertical fold hard to see without magnification or detailed scan.

A small visible corner fold.

Two 1\4 folds that are hardly visible except to magnification or detailed scan.

Very slight general wear to the paper quality as a whole, but with good coloring.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2017  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum, cerecords! I hope you enjoy your stay.

That's a very nice note you have. I'm not an expert on grading so I'll let the big guns weigh in, but even though there is visible wear that looks like a very nice example for a 100 year old note.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerecords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome.
I'm getting the collecting bug again!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerecords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there anyone willing to help me out here?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2211 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF cerecords.

Looks like a nice VF example to me. It's hard to tell the true note from your photos. Would you say it appears in hand more like the first two photos, or the last two photos? The colors look "enhanced" on the first seven photos, and normal on the last two photos.

If it was my note, and if it has original paper with good embossing, I would have it graded.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39392 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Steve on all points. Evenly soiled, nice upper VF range note. Tough issue, well worth having certified.

to the CCF!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerecords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.
So The first photos are high resolution with good lighting.
From an the naked eye, it looks much more like the first photos.
The second photos are a scan, and I accidently scanned it at 200 dpi.

Here is a high quality scan. The folds are much more visible.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4...792-h1252-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7...1607-h722-no
Edited by cerecords
10/08/2017 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
627 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is so weird to see a red seal and have it say federal reserve note. I am so use to seeing it say united states note.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerecords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like this type. I'm trying to get my hands on a $50 denomination.
I just picked up a great $10 emergency star note, which is why I'm selling this one.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05