Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Quarter Is this a DDR?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  9:46 pm Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd appreciate your opinion.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
I am not always correct so please understand what I say is my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3905 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh, looks more like Die Deterioration!

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mark, maybe, I'm not sure. A few more opinions might help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not too sure on this one etheir. It doesn't look like DDD to me at all. If you wanted to CoinMasters, maybe send pictures to John Wexler and see what he thinks. Possibly send it in to get it attributed. That's my opinion.
Errors And Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
10/09/2017 10:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is mostly DDD, the letters weird out closer to the rim, stretching and mushy looking IGWT, notice how LIBERTY near die edge is sheared off, the outside circumference tapering (grinding down of cylinder) is a VLDS die. Reverse die as well, look at the metal flow and letter curl near edge, that's at least an LDS with deterioration
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks EandV, I'd only send it in if I thought I had a major error.
Thank you too Crazyb0. I agree the dies had seen better days, My pics of the armpit don't really show how strong it is, I guess I'm gonna need another opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gut feeling is late die state with some added die abrasion wear in the area in question. That said wait for an expert or allow more time for research. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome CoinMasters. It is in a VLDS like the others said. I try my best with my opinions I give, but there are more experienced members on CCF that can give you a way better opinion than me. We should try getting Coop involved for this one. :)
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Halo1st, you are the second opinion for wear on the die without a DD. Of course I think all my coins are Doubled Dies, but now it's 2 to 1 against. I'll go with that unless someone sways the count.
Thanks EandV, I agree the die is worn, was hoping it was a worn DD. Yes it would be good if Coop weighed in, he's a 99%er. A solid declaration from him is equivalent to 12 normal people votes.
Edited by CoinMasters
10/10/2017 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, that's so true about Coop. Hopefully, he'll weight in on this one and give you the best answer you can ever get. He's 99 perfect right most of the time. :)
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25787 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area in question doesn't seem to be an area where a clash would cause anything. But I feel it is from die polishing that was concentrated on that area. I searched several example on PCGS and found that the later die state show this. (Same as the coin I used) There was also a lot of MD on different examples of graded examples, but I feel it wasn't the cause of this mark on the OP's coin. More of an issue of isolated polishing that to the field down lower on this area leaving a raised area.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coop, as always you the man. You say it's not a DD, that seals it for me. Without the clash it's hard to figure why they'd polish it, I think it's also a wear point. Either way I guess it's safe to say it's an Abraded Die.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05