Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could there POSSIBLY be more than 6 1913 liberty head nickels?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add starnote to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was watching a video on YouTube where there were saying that there are only 5 liberty head nickels minted in 1913 but they also added that there may be a 6th one. Could there possibly be more than 6?
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1244 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what I know, those 5 have already been made without the consent of the mint. It's most likely that they've been made for fun by a mint employee at the end of a long workday, so to say. As such, I do believe that there is no control over how many have been minted and therefore, all is possible, in theory. He could have made a truckload of them and just taken home 5 specimens, after which the truck got lost, right? However, as it's been over 100 years and no new ones (except the ones made by our friends in China) have appeared, so it's highly unlikely that more authentic ones, which also will be recognized as such, will appear. I think actually chances are bigger that Easter and Ascension Day will happen on the same day one year, but you never know...
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3453 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  02:25 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the video?
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ItchyN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are tens of thousands of them. Most of them are made in China.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6510 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh shoot , you mean my OBW roll of 1913 Liberty Head Nickels are of Chinese origin ?
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not likely. Possible. It's also possible you will find it in the change bin in your car.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no 6th one. I truly believe the whole story about a possible sixth one came about because the custom holder made for them for Col Green had more than five holes (It had eight holes, the other three contained two pattern buffalos. I believe one of them was a copper striking, and a regular issue buffalo.)

Another reason for a story of a possible sixth one would be for a con man to sell his fake one.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
23076 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There could possibly be another one, but after 104 years of being the "front and center" news item in the numismatic world, subject to research by the most luminous scholars in the field, I would think we'd know by now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3017 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be, after all we haven't found Bigfoot yet either
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05