Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 philadelphia jefferson nickel doubled die obverse .  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
254 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add centavo69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i found this 1965 philadelphia Jefferson nickel doubled die obverse ... I hope the experts see what I see this time ...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25765 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you note the flow lines on the die on the obverse of you coin? (below the '5' on the date) That is a sign of extreme die wear. So what you are on the motto is another aspect of heavy die wear. It is called die wear. This happens as the die get old from use. The dies pushing the metal of the planchet, causes the dies to wear out. This is not a fast process, but a slow process. Die flow starts to show on dies as they reach the LDS (Late Die State) Get even stronger when the dies move into the VLDS (Very Late Die State). The coins show the story. But the better looking coins are from the EDS (Early Die State) But just a few of them happen before the die starts to age. Note a chart comprised on the number of coins per die states:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add centavo69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have a question mr COOP ? I see some separation on some letters ... is that part of the deterioration of the coin too ^?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25765 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you can see lines on the tops of the devices. Most of the time it is coin contact that alters them. But on some proof coin (nickel) you can see them from the striking process:

That is probably from die wear, but proof coins are only used for 6,000 strikes.
On business strike coins you can see the lines from incuse devices that the MD slides a bit before the strike. This is call Striation lines:

On raised devices we see these also:

These lines are very fine. It is caused by the roughness of the metal slid. If you took some soft butter, you could take a pairing knife and lightly skim it on the top of the butter. This will leave a copy of the edge of the knife on the butter. (probably used in forensic tests)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5608 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see some separation on some letters ... is that part of the deterioration of the coin too ^?

No, your coin shows MD and die wear.

Centavo69, I think you probably understand that everything on a die comes out opposite on a coin. Everything raised on a die comes out recessed on a coin. Everything recessed on a die comes out raised on a coin. I think you understand all that, it's pretty basic.
If you take that one step farther, you will realize wear on a die adds recess to a die. The wear recess on a die becomes raised on a coin. It's often mistakenly thought to be doubling. There are several ways to tell "die wear doubling" from a Doubled Die. The "die wear doubling" on a coin is usually sloppier and raised very little when compared to the Doubled Die.
Machine Doubling (MD) AKA Strike Doubling, is also often mistaken to be a Doubled Die. It is caused by unintentional extra movement of the die at the time of the strike. The die first strikes the coin leaving perfect devices, then unintentionally moves and alters the devices. Depending on the direction of the unintentional movement the altered devices can be smashed flat at their edges (usually with striation lines) or the devices can come out with as little as lines in them from just a "kiss movement". This phony "doubling" can be differentiated from the Doubled Die by being not as tall and by being part of the original device. The Doubled Die is not part of the original device, it is alongside it. Understand that, and you will understand Reduced Devices. Take the time to understand these three paragraphs, I think they should help you tremendously.
Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
I am not always correct so please understand what I say is my opinion.
Edited by CoinMasters
10/11/2017 11:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Centavo, what I do is go to doubleddie.com,find the kind of coin you have, click that then the year will come up. If you donít see the year of youíre coin itís not a ddo/ddr (most likely). Also if you donít find the exact coin youíre holding on the list of dd coins itís not one either. Unless itís a new find and theyíre arenít a lot of those out there. There will be markers on youíre coin that match the one you see there if it is a genuine dd.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05