Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 5 cents with a RP in the first 1 in the date  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3177 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  2:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has a strong RP in the first 1 in the date.

It also has a RP in the 8 and a fine pointed RP in the 7 that is similar to the p. 267 example in the Charlton 5 cent varieties section.

Has anyone also seen or might know of a similar RP in the first 1 of this date? The RP in the 1 is the most noticeable RP in this 1871..

I would really like to see another example of the strong RP in the first 1..

Here's hoping that that someone here has one.

Thanks..

PCGS photos add a lot more contrast than what I feel is the true colour.

This last pic from PCGS shows the multiple reverse die clashes very well ...

Is it loose screws that let the die rotate in the collar and the multiple die clashes show as such ?

Edited by DEVLEC
10/12/2017 4:05 pm
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DEVLEC,

What a beautiful coin

I checked the 2 that I have and no RP. They are no near of the quality of coins that you have!

MG
Learn More...
United States
23414 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it loose screws that let the die rotate in the collar and the multiple die clashes show as such ?

They might not have been loose until the impact of a clash.

I've always felt it a case of consecutive hits without a planchet which caused those multiple clash events; whatever problem disturbed the planchet feed was permanent enough to completely interrupt the supply until whoever was at the switch woke up and stopped the press.

Am I right in seeing RP on the 7 as well?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3177 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks MG..and thanks again for looking ..(would love to see another example)

..and yes SsuperDdave, you keep whacking the dies together and I guess that somewhere down the line something has to give..

On this example, the clashes have moved all over the place.. I also remember that SPP also likes multiple die clashes a lot..

Quote:

It also has a RP in the 8 and a fine pointed RP in the 7 that is similar to the p. 267 example in the Charlton 5 cent varieties section.

Yes..it does have a fine RP in the 7 as well..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
981 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin devlec
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  06:22 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might have the ugliest one in existence.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05