Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Want From A New Die Variety Website?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  8:24 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No reason for this question, no reason at all...

If someone were to make another website for doubled die listings, what could make it stand out from the already existing sites like varietyvista, doubleddie, and coppercoins? It would be pointless making something that already exists.

Would organizing doubled dies, so that similar-looking ones are in the same place, be useful?

Any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1809 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More examples of each variety. With all the excellent coin photography going on here on this board and on eBay and elsewhere, why not list a doubled die, give it's history and class and all that info, and then continually add more images of verified examples of the DD as they become available.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40260 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much no need for new web sites. Just support your favorite ones. Offer assistance if needed. Ask them what they need? Become a great teacher. A lot of new ones coming in right now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2017  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a new website and even the existing websites, could take a lesson from CopperCoins. What could be better than entering a date, mint, and denomination to see all the varieties and errors on any particular date mint denomination?
Also a section about different types of errors.
Edited by CoinMasters
10/27/2017 12:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe prices on each die variety and state of the coin. So like if it were AU50, it would have the price of that so you know if it's worth anything or not. Also tell how common the die varieties are, or how uncommon they are
Edited by Coppergold
10/27/2017 12:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppergold, that is coppercoins.com. If you look at each listing, prices are listed. That give you a good idea as to the population/value ESTIMATES for each of their listings. They also cross reference other known listings for each of their listings. The only thing NOT shown may be the various die states, die pairings, markers ...all the minutiae that only coin geeks get a rise from, the rest of us have no need for TMI!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29929 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinMasters said what I was going to. Ease of access.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add duece2seven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see one sight which combines everything similar to Wexler and Variety Vista but it's hard to imagine it ever happening. I think the main issues are funding and manpower. Unless we all committed to paying substantial monthly or yearly membership dues to support 3-5 fulltime attributers, photographers, and site managers, I just don't see the perfect site ever coming about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1952 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would want all the varieties they have listed.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Completeness: Don't reach so broadly that you'r forced to present incomplete data for each listing. Concentrate, even if it means only one issue year at a time.

Quality. Create imagery of sufficient detail to clearly illustrate what you're showing. 400px full-coin images and 200x200 details don't show me how to identify the coin. Find and illustrate the markers which allow identification when the most important details are obscured.

Accessibility. Don't cram too much into one space, nor flood me with links. Pay attention to logical, progressive layout. And include an Attribution Guide, however that best works for what you're offering.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ease of access.

That sums it up John1, that's how I try to live my life. I guess it's true that "great minds think alike". lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There probably is already one out there, But I'd love to see a site for every variety for each denomination coin in one place. Without all the numbers. I don't know what a 16-25-17-thglp-4rq is.Just tell me what it is in "basic terms". 1979 D grease filled nickel!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40260 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2017  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sites need a UPC (United-Product-Code) A set of numbers for all the listings. That would take a long time to compile to match up all the different locations. Some sites align some codes. But with the more sites coming out there it makes it harder to match up. Coppercoin.com used the older CONECA RPM (orange) to start their RPM guides to match them up at first, but added new ones to teir listing after that book numbers were filled. The biggest problem is that new varieties are still being found all the time. So somewhere down the road, they may all join up in the future to accomplish this. But new finds always add new numbers to the lists.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05