Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I went fishing in a junk bin...

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How on earth did a gem Morgan like this survive in a junk bin?
Congratulations on your find.

Excellent pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7361 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically they were junk bin tube rolls. Not the loose coins in a shoebox type.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! When you go into coin shops do you ask to see a junk bin? Because every time I go into a coin shop I have never seen one out to look through.
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
7361 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a new shop I typically start by chatting up the owner, make him like me. I'm good at that. Then I start looking at the coins he has out then ask for any coins, typically Morgan's that aren't out and usually those are key dates / conditional rarities and what he considers culls. The key is having the gift of gab. Some owners are grumpy curmogerons though. But those are typically the ones that rip off the guy bringing grandpas coins in and then has absurdly high prices on his inventory.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be interested in seeing how it grades up. Dang nice find.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"If it's a new shop I typically start by chatting up the owner, make him like me. I'm good at that. Then I start looking at the coins he has out then ask for any coins, typically Morgan's that aren't out and usually those are key dates / conditional rarities and what he considers culls. The key is having the gift of gab. Some owners are grumpy curmogerons though. But those are typically the ones that rip off the guy bringing grandpas coins in and then has absurdly high prices on his inventory."

The gift of the gab is the way to go, I'm new to the US and have just started up a relationship with my lcs owner. The Yelp reviews basically said stay away as he was grumpy and rude. He is friendly enough, I go in get a couple of coins, maybe a cent roll to go through. His prices are ok, not super cheap nor too expensive. I have an in with him in that his landlord is an Aussie like me and so I hope to build the rapport and perhaps get a look into some nicer coin like you did.
Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Yelp reviews basically said stay away as he was grumpy and rude

These are the people who would give you the shirt off their back once you've reached out and established a friendship with them. I bet the poor reviews are from those who walk in with a "You're here to serve me" attitude, as opposed to "Let's talk about our shared passion for coins."

Yes, there are those who probably shouldn't be retail sellers, but (as someone who lives in retail) there are just as many who shouldn't be customers.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2017  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SsuperDdave, I agree heartily with your assesment, I have found this fella and his wife to be friendly and whilst I am perusing there is nearly always a local or two who come in , sit down and just chat coins. So I believe that the Yelp review was some dumb@zz being just that and he didn't have the time or inclination. Hehehehehe
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find! that's excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7361 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boom. As I predicted!

Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very late to this party ... offering my congratulations for your knowledge that led to this tremendous coin score.

I'm thrilled for you ... as you should be for yourself.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8576 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah! Well played and you imbibe!
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations. That's a nice ego boost.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7361 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha. Thanks guys.

Just call me the Oracle of Morgana Dave lol.

Yeah Chute. I've had much bigger scores but I've always wanted a high grade 3o3, just never thought I'd find one in a junk bin!

Where's SsuperDdave?
Edited by Cascade
03/21/2018 9:27 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05