Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Morgan Might Be Slightly Overpriced.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to find DMPL with color. It is going for a high price considering the 81S is one of the most common dates in DMPL.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That'll go for moon money with the old holder/color/cac
Fire A.J. Preller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not easily replaced. If you have the bucks I can understand why you wouldn't give up easily.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42735 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never have understood this kind of thing, never will. Those census figures are scary. And look at the price with B/P!
Edited by Coinfrog
11/03/2017 5:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen. That being said, ever since I learned AT can be applied through slabs, I look at all of these with a little bit more of a jaded eye.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's got several things going for it. It looks like a 65, the obverse color is amazing, dmpl Morgan's are hard to find with nice toning and while showing the dmpl mirrors fully. It's in a older NGC holder plus it's got a CAC sticker. It's got everything needed to make an auction go way above normal prices. If it had a gold CAC sticker I would expect it to go over $2500, even if it is the most common dmpl date out there. It's a great piece but it's out of my budget big time.
Edited by Imthealphaomega
11/04/2017 08:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one has everything going for it as already mentioned and that streak of textile toning on the obverse really sets it all off. Yeah, this one will go for moon money and my coin budget is very down to earth...
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sold for nearly $2,900. Figure that one into your price guides.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insanity. Someone must've really wanted it bad
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those census figures are scary.

Census is irrelevant for that one. Those other ones won't have the color or all the other factors.
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2017  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering what that piece was going to realize. I'm not sure of exact numbers, but if only about 1% of Morgans are dmpl and only a very small amount of those are toned, then that is one very rare bird indeed. With only one image provided by the auction house, it is virtually impossible to tell what that coin would look like in hand.
FWIW, that cac sticker is huge on this coin. Although the old fatty holders are well known for being graded very strictly they were also much looser on the dmpl designations and are often only pl by today's standards. With the sticker, it would be pretty safe to say it's a true dmpl.
I have had the good fortune of owning a few and the way the toning explodes from the mirrored surfaces is a sight to behold.
Here is a piece I acquired from Legend about 15 years ago. It was in an old fatty graded ms66 dmpl. I sold it as such, and purchased it back a couple years later regraded as an ms67 pl (which I felt it was).

A couple more I had the good fortune of taking care of for a few years. The first one I purchased from Anaconda also about 15 years ago for the crazy price of 4 thousand.....wonder what it's worth today.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05