Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Back From The Best Annual Insulator Show

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where did you get your large Muncie from eBay?

Sorry, I obviously clicked on the wrong topic!
I got my Muncies from a guy on eBay that used to sell them - Can't remember. Used to start buying them at 99$ then it got ridiculous at 135$
These are the other 2 I have completely - plus I bought at post for 12$ they didn't know what it was!

Edited by Mark1959
11/10/2017 12:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Denman

Quote:
Quite the collection Earle.I never knew there were so many different colours. I had about 20 different ones but someone figured they looked better at their place and stole them.

Actually this pic does not show a lot of the colored pieces. Its an old pic when I was researching the aqua ones in the right window. Here are a few more of what I see in the morning with the sun coming through them now. Also I have included a couple pics I send to people who ask why people collect insulators.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spruett

Quote:
It's a wonderful way to display the varying colors and shapes. It kinda got me thinking about the market for building display cases like that.

I know of two collectors currently who offer display cases such as this. In the original pic I posted, the one on the floor is from a feiend of mine in Kansas. He makes some quality cases - all oak, heavy duty polished glass shelves, 5000K CRI 86 bulbs, and quality diffusion plastic. It was gifted to me by several collectors for my holding a seminar at a large show a few years back.

Aside from the diffusion plastic and bulbs (now people are going to LEDS), I think a budget model could be made from less expensive wood.

Quote:

P.S. Which one are you in the pics? I assume somewhere near the box of Cheez-Its.

LOL! There were a few pics before the link I posted before.

Here...
http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=514472548

I am the one behind the table with the long name tag and attached badges.

I was selling my reference book (which can be seen in front of me) so was sharing a table with a friend. I also had an idea which seems to have caught on. On the table you can see my "Brookfield Bucks." These are my own design on "currency" featuring the Brookfield Glass Company people/insulators. They look and feel like real bills, and people seem to like them. I am planning on other manufacturers in the future.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@moxking

Quote:
My grandfather sold them in his antique store for fifty cents each, except for the purples that sold out fast for $3.

The good old days before 9-11.

Finding purple in the air is a thing of the long ago past now. And the least paid for a common purple of any style is 30.00.

Purple and royal purple tend to be the favorite color alongside dark cobalt blue.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks McShilling
Quote:
That's a lot of pics from the show and a lot of insulators, I said it before a very nice collection.

@TNG

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but those amethyst ( purple ) ones changed from clear to purple by sunlight exposure up there in the telephone poles day after day.

You are correct. Although there are Canadian pieces people think were made on royal purple.

Glass made from scratch is typically aqua. Manganese was added to make the glass clear. other elements were added for different colors (such as cobalt makes cobalt blue glass).

Sunlight's ultraviolet rays excites the manganese atoms and results in a light purple color normally called SCA for sun colored amethyst.

The royal purple color is like the one on the left posted above in the "Now Why Do You Think I Collect Insulators." It is a CD145 in royal purple and books for about 85.00 while an aqua of same is 2.00.

The one on the right in same pic, a CD161 CALIFORNIA, was also turned its color from sunlight and was originally alight yellow.

@ArrowsAndRays - thanks!

@coinlover
An interesting thing about the hobby is that it is just the right size. Its large enough to support an expensive market for are pieces while small enough that they are still out there to be found when you know what you are looking for.

Every collector I know, within the first five years of being in the hobby and keeping an eye open at garage sales,flea markets, etc., has found at least one piece booking at several hundred dollars. A lot of friends have thousand dollar pieces and above.

A retired lineman fried of mine goes to every yards sale, flea market, antique store, and auctions he can. He also frequents eBay and Craigslist. Within the last year he has found/shown me at least three pieces that can sell for $2-3k. It is a lot of footwork - but he does it for the fun. He keeps them. The market for better pieces is such that its not hard to sell them.

There were several items I could have easily flipped at the last show, but I don't really deal as much anymore b/c of other things. One of the dealers at the show had a piece marked for 300.00. I told him he had better re-evaluate. He did not know what he had as it was a rare color that even a lot of seasoned collectors have not seen before. They just know its some sort of blue. Having had experience with the twin of that piece before (I sold mine), I let him know it was light sapphire blue and books for around 1500.00!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thread and thanks for the reply on my questions.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10549 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2017  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also had an idea which seems to have caught on. On the table you can see my "Brookfield Bucks."

I did see the Brookfield Bucks in another pic. It's no surprise, I suppose, that they instantly jumped out at me.

"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NIA (National Insulator Association) has their large show every summer. They have a kids category for making displays. The winners get an award. A couple of years ago I came up with the idea of Kid's Kash. Along with a trophy, the kids would get some "funny money" to be spent at the show. All NIA dealers were told the NIA would reimburse them face value of the bills. I was shocked to find out that not one bill has ever been turned into the NIA to be redeemed, and they auctioned off the remainder of the extra ones to benefit the NIA college scholarship fund. Each bill auctioned went for 100.00!

People wanted more, so I figured I would make some non-NIA sets commemorating glass factory giants.

These are printed on ivory colored linen paper - so they look and feel real.

The full set is a 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20. Here are the 2 and 10. :

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10549 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done! Especially for making a $2 version.

Hobby crossovers can be important, I think. I'm not into stamps but, this could be my "gateway":

and then...
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1609 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw somebody on here with a picture of those transparent colored things. I had no idea what they were (and I still don't), but my first idea was "R2D2"
Edited by RoyCoinBoy
11/10/2017 12:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RoyCoinBoy
It is ironic that insualtors were so vital to the development of communications and yet so few people (relatively speaking) know what they are/were.

Simply put, when a communications wire, first telegraph and later telephone, were put onto the crossarms of poles, the electricity would leak to the ground and short out when the wood was moist from rain, dew etc. In other words, no communication could be had.

Glass, not being a conductor of electricity was formed into these units to insulate the wires from grounding... hence we cal them insulators.

Voltages being transferred increased as the electrification of the the world began, and it was found porcelain was a better insulator. Being porcelain was more difficult to make, the US kept making glass insulators for lower voltage lines and porcelain for high voltage.

You can still see porcelain pieces on poles today - carrying power - since communications transferred by single, large cable is so well insulated this type of protection on a pole is no longer needed.

You might still see some glass insulators in the air, but as of Y2K, much has been being torn down b/c of people suing insurance companies, and - sadly - winning, when these people get hurt while trespassing and climbing poles to get the glass without permission.

The larger RR lines have been removing the stuff as quick as they can. Its sad no colorful strings of glass sparkle in the sunlight anymore along tracks.

Their history is amazing, just like our coins. And it amazes me even more I can hold a piece of glass in my hands that no doubt helped transfer news of all major events from just a decade after the civil war through Kitty Hawk, presidential assassinations (Garfield, MckKinley, and Kennedy), changing of all British monarchs since Queen Victoria, all news of WWI and WWII (and all the others) and even up to Neil Armstrong first walking on the moon.

And some can be had on free tables at shows!

Following is one old soldier. It is one of my favorites types b/c of the decorative embossing (researched and wrote my reference book about them and the factory history). This insulator likely did It likely did handle all those historic events above until this being taken out of service sometime in the 70s or 80s. Some of its type are still on abandoned poles in remote areas.

They all have a number (called a Shop Number or SN) on the top. Here is the first pic ever taken of all the numbers lined up at one time - 130 years after the SN1 would have been made (1882). The "sapphire" listing is now officially "Windex Blue" in the price guide.

Another reason why I love the insulator hobby is there are some areas still that can be pioneered. The following is my complete sequential set of CREB 145 insulators (CRown Embossed Brookfield - the 145 is the number assigned to this type of profile). Most of these I have duplicates for in differing colors although pretty much they were made in aquas or green shades. The earliest here are 1882-1885 (1 through 9), most 1885-1895 (10-23, double numbers, and lastly 00 and 11), and the A&B are 1900 possibly up to 1905.

Finding the dates was part of the mystery!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You still see lots of these in the air on some older Canadian Pacific and CN rail lines north of the border... I don't think the collecting bug has caught on that much here...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I have quite a few Canadian friends in the hobby - from one coast to the other. They regularly travel down here each year to attend US shows, and they host other shows up there. Just off the top of my head I know of one in Perth that has been regular for years and also one in Mnt. Bridges - annual for 10-15 years(?) maybe. There are several shows on the West coast as well.

insultors as a whole are nowhere near as big a hobby as coins having started about 1970 or so when the first lines were being taken down.

Those insulators show in the pic are, indeed, a dying sight to see down here. Liability has made it such that in the last 10 years there has been a concentrated effort to take down all the old poles along tracks. Its sad really. Seeing these jewels sparkle in the sun was something I enjoyed since I was a kid. Up there has been no massive push to get rid of them.

BTW - actually have hunted the CN line before. All the insulators in your Pic are US made, as a lot of our stuff was used up there. But when hunting the CN line in the past I came upon some really nice Canadian made pieces.

Up there people have the advantage though of being able to find threadless (no threads molded into the pinholes) which are a lot older, more rare, and have a lot higher values than most glass. Poles with threadless (the only tech of the day) were much closer to the tracks. When the glass was upgraded to pieces that screwed onto pins, the threadless ones were simply dropped to the ground.

Down here in the States we put much wider and higher piles of rock ballast by our RR lines, and so most of our threadless is unobtainable as it would require massive equipment to move all the ballast and then dig (which the RR would never allow anyway for obvious reasons).

But I have several friends up there who go into a farmer's fields abutting the RR right of way after the ground is plowed. They might only get one (maybe two or three if hunting is good) or two whole pieces a year, but when you are talking hundreds+ per piece, its not a bad hobby to go out looking.

And all of my friends who do so up there have found thousand dollar pieces at least once. My one friend, the FIRST time they went out pulled a $10,000 cobalt blue one out of the ground! They could see the bottom sticking out of the dirt! After doing this for around 15 years, they had amasses quite a collection of threadless including several more with a very high price tag.

I could relate many, many stories of frinds finding pieces up there in the wild. Likewise some stories of going finding better pieces at garage sales/antique stores etc b/c there are just enough collectors to make pieces valuable, but not yet enough collectors to make insulators well known by the general public.

In fact every collector I know of has, within the first five years of being in the hobby and looking at shows/sales/antique malls, had found at least one multi-hundred dollar piece within the first five years.

But to me, it is actually more about the history now - akin to my love of coins.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
01/10/2018 01:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool and colorful collection Earl42!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05