Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$5 Error Star Note Question

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  5:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bkellog1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like I purchased this awhile back as a star note but it looks to have an offset error to me. Can someone confirm? How rare is this?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28405 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It is a nice star note, but the print is not off enough for a premium.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bkellog1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome! The reverse appears to have been slightly printed on the front. Is this not an error? I have a similar 1953 Silver and it looks nothing like it.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The sheets of notes may have had damp/wet ink when they were stacked.

I'm going to see if I can find some info. on this. I know I've seen it before but I can't remember where........
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28405 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bkellog1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the back of the note. Notice there is an offset on the back too, no?

Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this: http://goccf.com/t/293688 Not the same thing but it does show how it is possible to see what is printed on one side on the other side.

I do not think there was a printing error. On the back of the note you can see the exact serial number from the front of the note. My best guess for the cause of that is that the ink was running freely the day that note got printed, possibly a humidity problem or crummy ink.

It does make the note kind of interesting but I don't think it would be considered an error. It is unusual and I'd keep it. It would be nice to find others from that print run and see how they compare.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bkellog1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a different note I have that PMG graded as an offset error. If this is an offset error, how is the $5 star note not?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Good looking star note and definitely in gorgeous shape. Not 100% sure but it sure seems like it could be a wet ink transfer (offset).
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2017  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I did some searching and talked to my printing expert and it IS possible that an inked plate came in contact with the bed without any paper and that ink was picked up on the next sheet that ran through. It is improbable -- but still possible -- that it happened twice on the same note. One would expect some distortion in the design because of the oil based ink.

However, serial numbers are added in a separate third printing. The numbers advance as the printing goes along. So for your note to be an offset printing error, it would have to have two different serial numbers, one for the time the plate hit the bed and one for the time the plate landed on the paper.

Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bkellog1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome! Wouldn't this still be considered an error note regardless of how the ink got on the paper?
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following with interest. I'm a total beginner on US currency and I read up on the offset printing error. To me the $5 is similar to the verified offset $1, but that may just be my inexperience showing.

As I regularly get notes from my bank to search I am trying to understand the difference between the 2 notes, and why you would not consider the $5 to be equivalent as an error. I'd hate to think I could be passing up potentially valuable currency to add to my growing collection of Star notes.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 is oldcurrencyvalues.com the only pricing resource that is available for valuing notes? Also how accurate is it to Fair market value? With US coins I use Numismedia and it is a great resource.

Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28405 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also use eBay sold values. Don't know how accurate it is,sorry.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2017  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC damage can cause this effect. What type of holder is it kept in?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05