Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Something Odd About Some RCM Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,753Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
443 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  05:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add halfdollardan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a lot of RCM coins and noticed 4 of them look a bit off.. the face of the coin appears off in color.. they look more of a bronze color that normal.

anyone ever seen this before or know what may have caused it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they tone that away if the clam has been left open in the sun for a long time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2278 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have seen the same at Canada Post with display coins in
direct sunlight, nice copperish tone but it is a
distraction and will affect resale value. You likely
received a discount from issue price, but I see this
Georgina Pope coin available on sale at CA for $29.95
now. I have a note in my coin book that says 2012 RCM
annual report 3,154 of these sold. Seems like it should
be worth more. If you intend to keep them, all is good,
but they may be considered to be a details coin - toned
with Post Mint Damage ( PMD).
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
11/12/2017 06:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6388 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins that tone on their own (i.e., w/o someone using artificial means) are not generally considered to have post-mint damage.

It is known that exposing the RCM's coins to prolonged sunlight (while they are in their capsule) can cause them to develop a golden tone - the toning might not be to the liking of all collectors, but I wouldn't consider the coins physically damaged.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2278 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes some toning is desirable but not usually on new
NCLT. In this case the toning is a discoloration
which is the damage, it is not as issued from the
mint and thus would require a seller to list the
coin as toned, which is an impairment. Toning
should occur over time. This coin is 5 years old.
I enjoy a nice natural toned silver coin.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2017  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting effect. Is the coin equally toned on both sides?

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Valued Member
Canada
443 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2017  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfdollardan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Just the one side.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heard a dealer mention a couple of weeks back that he had some 2017 coins that had discoloured this way. In an enclosed mall so no direct sunlight on the display cases. Seems to have happened faster than usual. I've seen a number of 2012-2014 like this so previously figured it took a couple of years at least.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No. Just the one side.

So yeah... this points to some kind of chemical interaction between the capsule/coin and prolonged exposure to light.

It became more like a fantasy coin which may not appeal to most collectors.

But I personally think it is very cool. The coin reminds me of the $3 Allegory 2013.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2830 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any prolonged exposure to light would likely discolour coins. Don't need to be direct sunlight. Similar to photos that fade from UV light.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
501 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also seen this in dealer cabinets where coins are on display under artificial light.

Virtually all sources of light emit UV to some degree. The sun is the most obvious but Halogen, Fluorescent, Incandescent and LED all emit some UV. It is known that UV will cause silver to tarnish... This is not the same reaction as exposure to Oxygen which results in the familiar black Silver Oxide toning.

This is one of the reasons that Museums spend so much on lighting. Light sources that provide a correct color spectrum but also inhibit UV emissions are expensive.

Since this is only on one side of the coin, the exposure to light is the probable culprit as if it were a heat reaction with the capsule, the other side would carry some degree of the toning also.

There are a bunch of scholarly papers (well beyond my understanding) regarding the use of UV to ionize Silver for the anti-bacterial effects of Silver to preserve food etc. Since all Numismatic silver, contains copper in the alloy, even "pure" 9999 silver, it may be that the UV is causing the copper to shine through. Is there anyone who has a deep understanding of the chemistry of Silver and UV interaction?

That said... it is probably best to keep silver away from light sources and in the dark unless you have very good UV filtration.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,753Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05