Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 s Cent double die or master die?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  1:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mmsjr2103 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I signed up so that I can get alot of extra pair of eyes and knowledge about this 1972 s penny I have. Please, your feedback would be great.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5176 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aboard!

This is classic "slide MD", machine damage. When both the mintmark AND dates are affected in same direction/manner it is 99.999% MD. The mintmarks are hubbed in after all the other elements, how a doubled die is produced, MD happens during striking.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25731 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Similar even happened to the bottom coin in this grouping. You can see the date and mint mark showing the same MD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2458 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Slide MD. That was a great question. Also, be careful on the Lincoln Shield cents because MD can occur on the incuse devices and look like a Doubled Die.
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking. We have folks report neat finds here almost every day.
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2017  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2017  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmsjr2103 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. here are some more from 3 different pennies I came across. feedback anyone?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
92D : normal
Middle Pic.: MD (Machine/Mechanical Doubling)
Last pic: Split plating due to excessive striking force.

Last but not least : to the Community.
Edited by Chase007
11/19/2017 11:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25731 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2017  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1992-D is showing die deterioration off the devices on the date towards the rim. There is also some split plating on the mint mark area. But pretty much a spender.

I added your image of the split plating to my educational image files:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/19/2017 11:32 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05