Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 172
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG & spruett - thanks for the posts.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999 another nice one!

My 35th different Heraldic Art Medal
So-called Half Dollar

1970 Nathan B. Palmer
Antarctic Pioneer

Nathaniel Brown Palmer was an American seal hunter, explorer, sailing captain, and ship designer. He gave his name to Palmer Land, Antarctica, which he explored in 1820 on his Hero sloop.
Houqua was an early clipper ship with an innovative hull design, built for A.A. Low & Brother in 1844.
Captain Nathaniel Palmer was an advisor to the Lows as a marine superintendent and helped design The Houqua.
I find no information validating that the Houqua was the actual "First China Clipper" as stated on the obverse of this medal.

When these vessels of a new model were built, which were intended to "clip" over the waves rather than plough through them, the improved type of craft became known as "clippers" because of their speed.
To sailors, three things made a ship a clipper. She must be sharp-lined, built for speed. She must be tall-sparred and carry the utmost spread of canvas. And she must use that sail, day and night, fair weather and foul.
Houqua sailed in the China trade where tea and opium were the usual cargo.

On May 5th 1853 in a violent squall, a meteor, apparently about the size of a man's head, broke at the masthead, throwing out the most violent sparks.
Houqua sailed from Yokohama, August 15, 1864, for New York, and was thereafter never heard from again. It is assumed she sank in a tsunami.

click for larger image

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am familiar with an Antarctic base, Palmer Station, but I never knew the reason for the name. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1895 Wannamaker
Ohi-Yesa
Lucky Charm Token

This very attractive and fascinating token was catalogued by token authority Russell Rulau as Phi 114, and he dated it to approximately 1895. This good luck token was issued by the Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia, PA, as indicated by the phrase WANAMAKER-ORIGINATOR, an advertising phrase used for years by Wanamaker, referring to the innovation demonstrated by the store.

The obverse has a very high-relief (three-dimensional) image of a Native American in full headdress, with the name OHI-YESA along the upper rim. Actually, this is an alteration of the Dakota/Sioux name Ohye S'a, which translates as 'always wins.'

This was the Dakota name given to the prominent Santee Dakota physician, author, lecturer, and reformer Dr. Charles Eastman (1858-1939), but I can't determine the connection to Wanamaker.
Eastman was of Santee Dakota, English and French ancestry. After working as a physician on reservations in South Dakota, he became increasingly active in politics and issues on Native American rights, he worked to improve the lives of youths, and founded thirty-two Native American chapters of YMCA. He also helped found the Boy Scouts of America. He is considered the first Native American author to write American history from the Native American point of view.

The reverse has the words THE WINNER, Porte Bonheur which in French translates Lucky Charm, and WANAMAKER-ORIGINATOR. This token was struck very well, with great detail, high-relief bust, and bold lettering. The diameter is approximately 26 mm, and the composition is copper.

Dr. Charles Eastman
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a truly wonderful medal, chock-full of history as well as stunning to view. Congratulations on having it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1971 Annie Oakley NRA
Nation of Riflemen
correct version
(My third example)

I now have three correct versions of this 1971 Annie Oakley NRA Medal from the "Nation of Riflemen" set.
I say "correct" because I also have one with the reverse of another medal that I posted here.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=88#2861962

Here's another of what I personally consider the best medal in the 30 medal set.
I include a picture of my recent purchase of a 1933 Goudey Indian Gum card of Buffalo Bill because the medal also shows a banner for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and Buffalo Bill on horseback on this medals obverse.

My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
80953 Posts
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been eyeballing some Medallic Art Co. (MACo) medals over the last few months. I love the "Americana" designs and the heft of the bronze feels great in hand.

I finally pulled the trigger when I found this medal celebrating the completion of the San Diego - Coronado Bay Bridge. San Diego is one of my favorite cities in the US and Coronado is a beautiful beachfront neighborhood on a peninsula on the far side of the bay. The bridge is sky high and can be pretty scary to cross if you're not into heights! In that case you can take the ferry and enjoy the underbelly of the bridge ;)

This medal is a bit unusual in one way: it's oval. Most MACo medals that I've seen are standard round pieces.

PS: I grabbed two of these medals so if anyone here wants one, let me know, maybe we can make a deal.

The medal was designed by Spero Anargyros:

ANARGYROS, Spero (1915-2004 ) sculptor, medalist, San Francisco, California.

Born New York City, 23 January 1915. Trained at Art Students League in New York City he also worked with sculptor Mahonri Young under Avard Fairbanks, in Salt Lake City. Anargyros was versatile in his sculpture productions ranging from meadllic models to monuments, heroic figures and architectural objects, but was equally competient in both bronze and marble for portrait heads, reliefs, and small statues. Signed medallic models SA initials (and as a brand on a horse's haunch on the Salinas California Centennial Medal). Fellow: National Sculpture Society. Member: American Art Foundation. Member: American Portrait Society. Board of Advisors: Artists Hall of Fame. Died San Mateo, California 10 September 2004.

Source: http://www.medalartists.com/anargyros-spyro.html

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting jeffbuckes, reminded me of when I was a kid and my father would tell me that when I do something, I always take the long way. He would draw two points, then draw a curved line to connect them showing the way I do things.
Then he would do it again and draw a straight line to connect the dots. He would then tell me the best way to do something is to go directly from point A to point B.

Had I not gone the direction I chose to, I don't think I'd be here today.

I must have been on that bridge at some point or at least I have seen it when I was stationed at Miramar. I don't recall, but it looks beautiful on a couple postcard images I found.
I would like to know why the straight line bridge wasn't built. Perhaps it has something to do with earthquakes? I am sure a straight bridge would have cost a lot less. Thanks for posting.
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG -

The bridge had to be high enough to allow aircraft carriers safe clearace. So it's 200 feet high in the center. If they used a straight line then the bridge would have been too steep, so they used the curve to make the bridge longer and build a gradual ramp over the bay.

PS: were you Navy or Marines...?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jeffbuckes - interesting medal, I think the oval shape adds to the dynamic style of the subject.

Nice discussion too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A recent magpie addition:

MODERN HEALTH CRUSADER
medal, about 7/8" diameter in brass.
Reverse is blank with evidence of a pin attachment.
I read elsewhere this was a lapel pin.

Reverse text reads
MANUFACTURED FOR
NATIONAL TUBERCULOSIS
ASSN.
NEW YORK

BY GREENDUCK CO.
CHICAGO

Here is a link to similar pinbacks and information:
http://www.vintagekidstuff.com/mhc/mhc.html

Edited by 999fine
01/14/2020 3:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999 was obviously ARMY I was NAVY. Coincidently I was on an aircraft carrier but not while there. It all makes sense now. LOL
My favorite album!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11933 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2018 Hornby Island BC $20 Conservation Token.

-
Edited by Dorado
01/15/2020 09:21 am
Learn More...
United States
80953 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2018 Hornby Island BC $20 Conservation Token.
Nice add!
Page: of 172 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05