Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

That special aroma of coins  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
960 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  11:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Smell is probably the sense most strongly tied to memory.

I find that when I am checking out a bunch of old coins--especially pennies--the odor takes me back 45 years to when I bought my first Lincoln folder.

Anyone else concur?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, same way. When I had my bulk buckets of Wheats, that old smell was what hit me each time the closet door was opened. Like one big bunch of folders, hmmm, come to think of it had sets of Wheats and Jefferson too in there, shoulder level as I walked in, that might be why!
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lmwstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't say that I've had this experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1575 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old silver gives off a smell too, especially old silverware. Can't say that it is all that pleasant though.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United Kingdom
372 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seems to be the smell of old copper I recognize, after years of rummaging through job lots and junk bins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
855 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The smell of old coins drives my wife nuts. That smell can certainly take over a room after a period of time. I do not find it displeasing, although there are plenty of things that are more pleasing to smell. However, to me the smell of old coins says adventure and exploration.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13355 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper and bronze coins have a distinctive smell.
The oils in the skin of your fingers is acidic, and will react with copper to produce complex organo-copper compounds.

I would think that sulfur is involved. Many sulfur compounds are smelly. Visual evidence that a chemical reaction has taken place can be seen in permanent fingerprint staining seen on copper and bronze coins.

Not only do copper and bronze coins get stained.
So does the skin of your fingers, and the need to wash them arises.

Other metals such as silver, can also be affected; there may be other metals that react with natural skin oils as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't smell metal. But the tastes are excellent
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15926 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt that metals smell. However, if you think about it, after so many people have handled a coin, they possibly left enough STUFF on it to make it smell. Hate to say but might me from someone that picked his nose and then handled the coins. So many other things that someone may have been doing with their hands and then handling coins. Now you have them and bring them into your house where the heat and humidity add to those now contaminated coins.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Smell is probably the sense most strongly tied to memory.

I find that when I am checking out a bunch of old coins--especially pennies--the odor takes me back 45 years to when I bought my first Lincoln folder.

Anyone else concur?
Agreed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1784 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father had hundreds of paper rolls of circulated Wheat Cents that he kept in his old cigar boxes in the basement of our house (without a dehumidifier).

I still affectionately remember the smell of dirty coins, old paper rolls, and a slight tobacco and musty smell when going through his coins.

I have most of those rolls now, but I keep them in plastic bins upstairs. Not quite the same aroma. Still nice memories of digging through dad's coins as a kid.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1455 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, the smell of old money...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3444 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pot, pizza & pine trees. That's just a few pcs. that have smells incorporated into them.

I've wondered what these would smell like over time.

But I get where you're coming from. One of my oldest memories is from a basement, where my dad always had a bag of cents or silver spread out over multiple tables. (in '64) When it rained, the scent
would gravitate upstairs. But tasting was verbotten
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
906 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few months back, I had a chance to open up my old collections in albums after two decades.

Musty smell of Whitman albums brought back old memories, followed by Indian Head albums.
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

I have a CONTEST going on right now! Win CCF Token, Morgan or Peace dollar, and Franklin half.

http://goccf.com/t/301981
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like how my Dansco albums smell.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6821 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I search through a hoard of Indian Head Nickels all I smell is that stench of Buffalo Dung .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05