Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999-P Lincoln Grease Filled?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there something different about the plating with the angled grooves on both the obverse and reverse?

Why wasn't the bust covered with grease?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had read this in Coin World, excellent description:

Quote:
Die fill (“grease”) accumulates and gets compacted within a die recess to form a cast. The hardened cast is eventually dislodged and ends up lying above or below a planchet. The dropped filling is struck into the planchet and then falls out, leaving behind an incuse impression. The impression will be normally oriented unless the dropped element flips over or winds up between the planchet and the opposite die.

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That explains it and thanks Chase007 for the excellent response
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect error. Your coin does show on obverse more of an over polishing issue than a grease filled struck thru. VLDS, Die deterioration causes metal of the die to move outwards, it begins to push the metal forming the "extra ring" seen so often at this die state. On you coin, excessive polishing to remove the "indented ring" (reversed image) on the die has gone down so far as to remove the depth of the outer devices, the last 1, LI of LIBERTY and even the deep polishing lines as seen in the field between IGWT. Those lines are brush lines. Now the reverse loss of detail is grease fill.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0 for the outstanding response and truly amazing terminology from you guys. Very much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5608 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why wasn't the bust covered with grease?

The description Chase posted tells how "Dropped Letters" occur. I see none on your coin. I do see where it was struck through grease though, in particular at the date and Liberty, possibly some at the coat and neck also. The bust wasn't covered in grease because there just wasn't enough to go around. lol

Quote:
Is there something different about the plating with the angled grooves on both the obverse and reverse?
Some of them probably are polishing lines, but the bulk of them travel in the same direction on both sides of the coin (when the coin is not flipped) and are thought to be roller lines.
Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
I am not always correct so please understand what I say is my opinion.
Edited by CoinMasters
12/06/2017 7:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CoinMasters, Great pic and explanations!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5608 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinMasters, thanks for catching that you are correct,I posted the wrong quote
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5608 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CoinMasters, thanks for catching that you are correct

What's that? Would you repeat that please? Especially the last part, I'm not used to hearing that. LOL
No sweat, I figured that was what you did.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05