Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie 1910 $5 indian head purchased on eBay for $380  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  3:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add alohacoin67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted this yesterday but everyone said my pictures were terrible. I am trying again and I want to thank everyone for their responses but I could not figure our how to respond to a specific post to say thank you for input. Anyway this is what I bought, I'm afraid its a fake or cleaned but if so whatever, newbies make mistakes

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
19086 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I worry a bit about this one because of what seems like a discrepancy between obverse and reverse sharpness. Perhaps it's the lighting. Can you give us the weight, please.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10571 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned yesterday, the reason for our caution is because of the large number of these that are good counterfeits.

Both NGC and PCGS rate these in their most counterfeited category.

I see nothing immediately suspicious, and even though I've bought and sold a fair number, I'd still want TPG on these.

Weight in grams would help.
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23410 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gut tells me you dodged the bullet on this one.

In fact, the price wasn't too awful bad either. But, with that said, one set of images aren't definitive. Heck, six sets wouldn't be definitive for a coin as popularly counterfeited as these.

Getting a weight (accurate to 0.01g) is the first test for authentication.

Down the road, you might want to get it authenticated and slabbed by a TPG, but depending on the price of gold the cost will cut into your profitability. The nature of the marks on the coin tell me it's likely to be adjudicated as Circulated, which could put you at even money with the investment in it as-is. This'll be a long-term hold, which isn't a bad outcome because it's a nice piece to start a collection on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5978 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse is a bit weaker than the reverse, not uncommon if the coin was in a backed bezel or ring at one time or another. My grade net AU53. Rev closer to 58 sharpness. There is a minor scratch on the reverse. Obv. may have been cleaned/wiped at one point, resulting in the difference in tone and surfaces.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
8416 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm afraid its a fake or cleaned but if so whatever, newbies make mistakes

I'd stick with top tier (PCGS, NGC, ANACS) certified pieces from here.

This piece appears genuine but quite possibly cleaned as many gold Indians are. Does look AU+.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
1278 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 still
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks fine to me. The two different tones look like it's just the lightning because the background is a different color in each photo. Possible that it was cleaned but hard to tell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details Cleaned. The coin appears genuine.
Valued Member
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Andy888's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andy888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details due to cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10779 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think AU-58 from those pictures.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05