Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Dollar Incomplete Clip?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
652 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  7:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What I think is an incomplete clip is visible on both sides, and lines up with the arc of a dollar...

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking someone layed a dollar on top of yours and gave it a whack with a hammer. Otherwise the strike would have pushed the metal around and maybe even filled it in.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
652 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mark, I had thought of that, but if that were the case, the area where the rim was hit with another dollar would be relatively square or rectangular, however, mine is V-shaped/incised, suggesting something thin or sharp.

Also, there is no obliteration of any features (the 'C' or 'A' of Canada for example) that you would expect from hitting it with another dollar.
Edited by johnnysprawl
12/09/2017 8:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember when struck with a hammer on the edge the coin will tip up resulting in just the corner of the rim digging in.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice how the line goes through D C, this was done post strike, not in blanking operation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2320 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i don't believe a hammer blow would have left equal marks on both sides of the op's coin. something else is going on here..perhaps the coin was sandwiched between 2 similar items and squeezed, to make almost the same impression on both sides..will wait for the dollar expert to chime in..
Pillar of the Community
United States
2487 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD ... maybe even used to level a chair or table
Learn More...
Canada
8533 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1965 is the most common year to see incomplete cut planchets for silver 50c and silver dollar coins. I need closer photos of where the cut intersects the devices and where it meets the rims, both sides, before I make my opinion. They tend not to be perfectly arcuate, because they are formed before the upset mill (rimming to Type II planchets), which tends to "pinch" them inwards. I see that on the obverse which has me leaning towards this being a legit coin struck on an incomplete punched planchet.

I have three of these in the nickel dollar series (1974, 1975, 1976) here, if you want to study the photos for comparison: https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/co...-errors/1621

Also the edge of the coin can be a good clue..

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3028 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legit in my eye as well . Have a 1966 somewhere that is a twin to OP Coin .
Nice example
Pillar of the Community
Canada
652 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone,

These are the best I can do with the camera I have, but after looking at SPPs PCGS examples, it looks like the incomplete punch matches quite closely.

You can see where the punch is 'underneath' the H in Elizabeth and the R in Regina.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4606 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'd say quite confidently that your coin is legit..nice example! as SPP stated, this is the most common year to find this error on dollars..however that doesn't mean they'r all that common either. I'm still looking for an example..enjoy yours!
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Learn More...
Canada
8533 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely legit...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
2487 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't see how that could be pre-mintstrike. Once struck, metal would flow into the "wound"
Learn More...
Canada
8533 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The metal is not a fluid... why do you think they burnished the planchets for Proof-like and Specimen strikes? To reduce the marks on the planchet surface prior to the striking...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
2487 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that the metal is not "liquid", but there would be some displacement of the metal into the "gash", as shown on the edge. The edges took too sharp and crisp with no displacement from the die being struck.
Learn More...
Canada
8533 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2017  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you not see the partial cut of the planchet on the rim edge? Of course the edges are sharp, the planchet cutter (punch) creates pretty sharp cuts...

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05