Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Try To Clean This 1852 Cent?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,164Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  3:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted a photo of this coin several months back. It has been in the family for several generations. When I inherited it, it was wrapped in some sort of clear tape...

I haven't used acetone on copper coins:

1. Should I put it in acetone?
2. Do you think it would remove decades-old tape residue?
3. If it will, would the toning be even worse?

My thinking is that the coin can't really be harmed too much more than the well-intentioned tape wrap has already done. All comments welcomed. Thanks.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
12/26/2017 3:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68843 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've thought this through well. Acetone won't hurt it, but may well not improve the overall appearance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Frog. Still pondering what I'm going to do - leave alone or experiment. I certainly don't want to do more harm.
Learn More...
United States
23689 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my opinions:

Quote:
1. Should I put it in acetone?

yes, pure acetone

Quote:
2. Do you think it would remove decades-old tape residue?

yes, most likely

Quote:
3. If it will, would the toning be even worse?

No, but it almost certainly won't be any better. On the other hand, starting now the toning may start to even out for future generations in your family. If you keep the adhesive/tape on the coin the difference will only get worse with time.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. If you keep the adhesive/tape on the coin the difference will only get worse with time.

Excellent point! I hadn't even considered that
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah - give it a 100% acetone soak - I give all my newly aquirred Large cents at least a 1/2 hour per side with no bad results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm yielding to the experts. She is in acetone as of 5 minutes ago.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dab the coin with a cotton ball once in a while too. That helps get off some of the harder to dislodge gunk. Don't wipe it..just do a dab on each side.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, chester. I have QTips I can use
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little dab will do ya.

Not to be unkind, but I don't think you can hurt that poor girl too much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well here is the old girl's debutant reveal:

The first photos are under the scope like the originals were. The second is with the new camera with ambient light. She does look better, but I'm afraid the damage was done. Thanks for the info everybody.
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One interesting fact is that you've shown us the result of such an attempt.

In the future if I see such an odd bird, ill have a much better idea about how it achieved that look.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm wondering if I should leave it out of the flip and see if it will oxidize. It's a fairly well struck cent and I think it may look better with a brown coat. Thoughts? Will it ever tone properly?
Edited by Bump111
12/26/2017 8:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20695 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best leave it as is. Yes leaving it out to get more Oxygen will darken it but where the tape was at, the darkening will never be as dark as the rest of the coin. However, as long as it's your coin, why not try.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
113483 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first photos are under the scope like the originals were. The second is with the new camera with ambient light. She does look better, but I'm afraid the damage was done.
I agree, she does look better.

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if I should leave it out of the flip and see if it will oxidize. It's a fairly well struck cent and I think it may look better with a brown coat. Thoughts? Will it ever tone properly?
I think it is worth a shot, but I think it will take a while. There is the possibility that you can handle it some, get some grime on it to affect the oxidation rate, then rinse again with acetone before it does any permanent damage. I could be wrong so look to other comments before committing.

Another option is to make her a pocket piece. You will loose a grade point or two, but could end up looking better overall.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,164Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: