Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify The Problem With The Problem Coin

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  06:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought this would be a fun new series of interactive and educational posts. I'm going to start doing these regularly if I get positive feedback.

First up we have an 1855 Seated dollar with a problem. Your mission is simple: Describe and identify the problem that placed it in a details TPG holder.

Hint on this one: It's not cleaning of any kind.

Edited by MikeF
12/29/2017 06:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooled, smoothed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4306 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark halo around Liberty suggests to me that it was cleaned.
I don't mean dipped; I mean wiped.
And I believe I see light abrasion lines (10 to 4) on the obverse, particularly in the right field.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The dark halo around Liberty suggests to me that it was cleaned.
I don't mean dipped; I mean wiped.

Quote:
Hint on this one: It's not cleaning of any kind.

Even though most of us know it's been cleaned, cleaning did NOT trigger the details designation. As with most slds, PCGS deemed the cleaning to be market acceptable.

Again, the details designation has NOTHING to do with cleaning of any kind. So everyone can throw that guess out. Do not use.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought this would be a fun new series of interactive and educational posts. I'm going to start doing these regularly if I get positive feedback.
I agree, this this will be fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1515 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has the rim been doctored?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has the rim been doctored?

No.
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim hit a little after 6 o'clock on the reverse, or the hit on the field of the reverse around 10 o'clock?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1358 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check shadowtrooper78's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shadowtrooper78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to go with stain removed/ and or repaired
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Repaired - there is an area on the obverse that looks strange.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there is an area on the obverse that looks strange.

Which area?
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That circular spot on the left bothers me, between the second star and the shoulder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fields on the obverse show some irregularities that the coin may have been repaired. Their is a spot in front of her face that has raised metal. The right field has two spots that may have been used for mounting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2779 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something split Ms Liberty's right thumb.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Creases in the stars been tooled?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05